New Westfield Pre Lit arrived, Help to ID Master Cylinder

Lotuss2

So I posted a few notes on this car. I bought it from a dealer in Philly and it arrived on the 12th. It's not quite as sorted as I had hoped but not bad.  It was supposed to have a dry sump, it did not. Mostly happy though.  just have to spend a bit of cash and do some sorting. the electrical has been a bit of a pain. The car lived in Japan for 30 years and I would have thought the basics where sorted. Have had many Lotus and It seems not all Lotus owners are all as detaled as myself so not too surprized that I will need some electrical work done. I am going to have the whole thing re wired. As far as I can tell the wiring is possed, lights wont work for a while and then they just turn on by them selfs and wont turn off! Not kidding. I tried to clean up under the dash and and I added a few zip ties and it really started acting up. I cut the ties and all is back to normal. Happy to say the motor was rebuilt and runs great. 

Really plan on a few things, 

• Wiring 
  • Brakes
  • Better 4 point roll bar and tonu cover 

Brakes, 

Can anyone Id the master Cylinder?

It looks like a TR7/8 Master made by AP Lockheed. But the mounting flange on my tghe TR7/TR8 unit has bolts that are left and right not top and bottom like mine? I have been searching and have not found anything that matches. The unit is a 3 circuit master, 1 Circuit to the rear brakes and 1 for each of teh fronts. Weird set up that was supposed to be done by the factory in 85. I also leaning with a 2 circuit master one for the rear and one going to a T fitting at the front split into left and right with a presure brake light switch at the front. Love to hear some thoughts on this, wilwood has a kit that would work. Has a 1" bore. 

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

• Like 2

Having been into the Jap tuner scene before my Westfield the one thing that was always ropey when cars came off the boat was the wiring. Seemingly to defy logic and there being lots of it. 

Car looks great though! :yes:

Can't help with the braking bit :(

If the master cylinders doesnt get found, you may need to strip the one you have and look at the seals. Its very easy to do. If the cylinder isnt damaged then thats great. It 'may' have more markings on it , if you remove it. If you have a brake shop etc around you, they maybe able to match some replacement seals. 

Early pre-lits were based onBritish  Leyland parts rather than ford donors, with the rear axles from MG midget and I think the uprights were triumph so at chances are the master cylinder would be from a similar source.

That could be good clue from Mark. My pre lit (chassis number 35) had Triumph Spitfire front uprights and a Morris Marina / Ital rear axle.

Found this under Triumph Spitfire, but only shows one outlet for the rear brakes. Also, the MGB ones show 2 outlets on the rear , but are different. here is the spitfire one

spitfire.jpg.2551b5221420b0e7245a375eba4bd5fa.jpg

• Like 1

On the cylinder there will be some numbers cast into the body. If you get those I will have a go at seeing what the body was used on and take it from there. It has a look of marina about it but that is a guess.

If it is just seals you want there should be seal numbers on them which are readily available, sometimes you need two kits if it is an older one as there may not be a specific one available.

• Like 2