Oil change question

Weekend Warrior

My new oil and filter has arrived so The time has come to do an oil change ,Ive got the just of it from watching Ed China on wheeler dealers warm up engine ,undo sump plug drain oil ,change filter and refill. 

Id dive straight in if it were an engine with the filter on the side ,however mine sits between the engine and the inter cooler so I just need to check if the process is still the same .Do I still just undo the sump and it all drains through that or do I have to drain the intercooler separately .If so Whats the process ?

Thanks 

Steve

9BF9E95A-8C0B-49A5-8E40-B5EF6A54CE9F.jpeg

There is no intercooler there, thats for turbo applications etc. You have a remote oil filter housing. Just unscrew, when warm and allow to drain, then screw a new filter, pre filled with fresh oil on. Sump is the same as Edd does it.

• Thanks 1

It looks to me like you have an oil cooler rather than an intercooler, my advise would be to warm the engine a little, switch it of and let it sit for 10 mins then undo the sump plug and let it drain completely, refit the sump plug and then remove the oil filter which will still have some oil in it. Before you fit the new filter fill it with oil first and do it up hand tight then fill the engine with oil to mid way on the dipstick, this means you get good oil pressure straight away and don't over fill the engine. After the engine has run for long enough to circulate the oil properly switch off and check the oil level. Hopefully all will be well. 

• Thanks 1

Buy one of these to remove the old oil filter, it fits on a 1/2 drive extension bar from your socket kit.  They work well and fit any oil filter from any car. You only need to undo the filter by about 1/2 a turn, then by hand.

1200px-Oil-filter-wrench.jpg

Thanks chaps :yes:

Knew it wasn’t an intercooler ,meant to type oil cooler :laugh: it sits in front of the fan .

Here’s one for Newbies…

At a base I was stationed at in the Airforce, one of the apprentices in the Machine Shop was tasked with doing a yearly oil change on one of the lathes. After pouring a 20litre drum of oil into it, he goes to his Sergeant and asks for another drum because the oil hasn’t come up to level  - his sergeant says “Why, it only takes 4 litres?” Of course, the lad hadn’t put the sump plug back in, and had a 20 litre tidal pool out the back of the lathe!

For the Machine Shop’s next booze-up, they machined up a 20kg solid steel sump plug attached to wrist manacle by a chain short enough that the sump plug wouldn’t rest on the ground – he learnt his mistake real quick that night!

haha. like that.

May be wrong as i am not familiar with the remote filter set up of the Zetec so some one else please confirm.

But. would that be a standard Zetec filter or one designed for the remote set up. May be worth some googling on what type of filter Mocal use for that just in case.

Cheers

Ian

9 hours ago, IanD said:

haha. like that.

May be wrong as i am not familiar with the remote filter set up of the Zetec so some one else please confirm.

But. would that be a standard Zetec filter or one designed for the remote set up. May be worth some googling on what type of filter Mocal use for that just in case.

Cheers

Ian

Yes it's the same filter that goes on the block and on the remote filter. Fram PH 2874 or Wix WL 7064. I have the  same Mocal setup.