Rear Wishbones

SouthhamsChris

Hi, I have been talking to Dennis at Siltech Racing regarding making some old spec(shorter) rear wishbones for my 95 seiw road car. However their wishbones do not have the steel collars to accept the bushes, where the arms mount to the chassis. They use a solid steel bar with a hole in it to accept the fixing bolt. So there is no give or flexing possible at the mounting. I guess this makes ride similar to poly bushes and much firmer. Has anyone experience of their products or this design? cheers Chris

Edited by Chrishubbs

Their bushes will be a steel inner sleeve that runs in a self lubricating nylon bush. The inner sleeve clamps tight to the chassis mounting allowing the nylon bush to rotate around it.

TBH you would be hard pressed to notice any difference at all in the Noise, Vibration, Harshness (NVH) between them and the metalastic type. There is some difference but you get used to is very quickly. For competition use the nylon bushes (or full on rod ends) are the way to go due to the precision of movement.

Worth checking with Dennis about the forward outboard lower bush. Will that be a rod end? You need a good lot of adjustment in that joint to allow for toe etc and a "solid" nylon bush might not give that. On my cars that is the only joint that retains a metalastic bush.

BTW the Siltech quality is second to none and they are great to deal with too.

Thanks for the quick reply. l have spoken with Dennis again, and yes you are right and I was mistaken, they do use a bush, but of their own making. Their steel collar for the bush is made from a solid piece of steel so no weld seam on the inside like a westfield collar. Dennis has been very helpful. The outward lower bush is replaced for a rose joint, so 2 x rose joints to connect to lower part of the upright. Looks like I will be ordering from Siltech

46 minutes ago, Chrishubbs said:

Thanks for the quick reply. l have spoken with Dennis again, and yes you are right and I was mistaken, they do use a bush, but of their own making. Their steel collar for the bush is made from a solid piece of steel so no weld seam on the inside like a westfield collar. Dennis has been very helpful. The outward lower bush is replaced for a rose joint, so 2 x rose joints to connect to lower part of the upright. Looks like I will be ordering from Siltech

You won't be disappointed. Nice people and great, well engineering products.