Peak District Xmas Holiday Run, Weds 27th Dec

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Have you got snow Mart?

Thanks @syman84

@Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AONot at home but just down the road in Coleshill and the M1 in Leicester is closed due to snow! I can't find any traffic reports of snow but I just thought I would ask. If no other information then will set off in about half an hour.

There is snow on the Buxton web cams so I have changed my route to lower ground. Drive careful everyone and see you at 11.

Great day had by all.

IMG_20171227_110424.jpg

• Like 3

These blinking Westfield drivers really are proper nuts. Quoting my words from my earlier post 'I have changed my route to lower ground' yes, Simon, thanks for totally ignoring that fact by giving me a naughty grin and suggesting that we go up Winnats Pass. I don't have a 'NO' button, so, Winnats Pass it was, nobody thought, oh it's snowy let's not. Ready, here we go........

We set off in slushy, rainy, snow to arrive at a dry, cold Wheatsheaf where Andrew and Pete, and Simon and Jacob were waiting for us.

DSC02721.JPG

We congratulated Simon on having the very best Christmas present that you could possibly have, a second Westfield, and he proudly showed us around it. A roar of an engine later and Martyn and Sue soon arrived, with their new in-car communication system that Santa bought for them.

DSC02727.JPG

The staff in the Wheatsheaf apologised and told us that they were not serving food until midday, so we booked a table for 8, for later, and left. Glen was popular when he suggested we go to Grindleford Station cafe for breakfast instead, so off we went and parked up right outside.

DSC02734.JPG 

Sue and Glen were quick to warm their drinks up with a nip of whisky

DSC02736.JPG

My second route plan was now messed up because we were at the wrong starting point, so I started to plan a third route, until I was intercepted by the aforementioned Simon and his nuts idea, to go up the Winnats Pass. We excitedly jumped into our cars and set off on our unusual adventure, the nearest you can get to an alpine pass without leaving your home county.

In places, the roads were decidedly iffy.

DSC02742.JPG

The views were so amazing and it was so much fun, not fast, but definitely fun.

DSC02772.JPG

We wiggled our way back down the other side to finish back at The Wheatsheaf for lunch.

DSC02785.JPG

Thank you to Jacob for filming the Pass and Glen for removing his glove to take the photo's. To Martyn and Sue for driving through a blizzard to get here and Andrew and Pete, who set off in heavy rain on a 2 hour journey. Last but not least, thank you to Simon, for bringing your superb new Westfield out and I am glad you got to try the first gear out, 60 eh!

More photo's to follow...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

bonkers, can we have a capital letter on that word please? Bonkers. Some more pictures, I hope you enjoy them.

Jacob is in there somewhere, while Simon is on the phone begging for forgiveness from Michelle :d, oh my finger accidentally hit the 'buy it now' button, honestly

DSC02720.JPG

Nosey

DSC02731.JPG

privileged parking

DSC02733.JPG 

the snow line, we didn't have to go above it

DSC02748.JPG

Mam Tor

DSC02775.JPG

Is that a wig? it's not my hair for sure

DSC02777.JPG

the rally car look is becoming a bit of a habit