Valentinik

Front indicator size requirement

I'd like to avoid fitting the front indicator to the nosecone on my build, i wondered if using these small lamps on the front of the cycle wings would be sufficient for IVA for front indicators as well as side repeaters on the side of the cycle wings

Thanks

Mike

s-l1600.jpg

I’d say as long as they meet the height and visibility requirements (lock to lock) then should be fine. 

Of course remember Iva rules are often daft. Like side repeaters on scuttle being a fail as they are hidden by a rear arch that has a big hyowdge indicator in it!

Hmmm.

bear in mind the cycle wings move with the wheels, this means that they could both move into and out of incorrect spacing distances, and also could in theory be shrouded by the nose on full lock.

Could you not just fit a temporary pod under the headlights for IVA? 

I believe Caterham have pods under the headlights with repeaters on the cycle wings. I was planning a similar set up for my Westfield. 

Quick plug Carbon Nv do the pods in carbon and there very nice. 

15A52DF4-E9D7-4B89-A6AD-4CF518C14891.jpeg

• Like 1

The pods are “technically” a fail. However nobody fitting them has actually failed recently. 

You could fit something to the outside of the headlights horizontally - might look pants but fits the rules. 

your best bet mike is to get the caterham style pods i also fitted the ones youve linked to in my cyle wings as an extra precaution but like others have said mine werent even checked. which test centre will you be goin to

Thanks everyone. The caterham pods was going to be my first choice but being an FW front I didn’t know if they were acceptable. Il have to take a proper measurement tonight to check. 

Ben, to be honest I hadn’t looked in to great a detail to the locations. I guess it would be either Birmingham or Derby? 

Mike 

not sure there is one in bham when i enquired. i went to derby you could go to kidderminster but its only a part time centre as far as im aware. derby was very good roy the guys name was was very thorough but had common sense aswell. my dash didnt pass the radius test at the bottom and he kept commenting about how things fall off kit cars but in the end he said to me he was looking for the overall build quality to stand the test of time rather than stupid things

Is it right that E-marks are only required for headlamps and rear fog lamps for IVA?

If so then I don't see an issue with using the button indicators on the front, as well as for side repeaters. Note that because they are smaller, they may fail the maximum distance to the side of the vehicle requirement in the same position as a larger indicator which complies.

Ben, kidderminster was what i was thinking of when i said birmingham. I couldn't remember the exact location, i was swaying toward derby i think.

I had a rough measure up this evening. The fw headlamp mounting hole centreline is 420mm from the edge of the cycle wing, though i think the rear of the car is  30mm wider. Does the measurement need to be taken from the cycle wing or from the overall widest part of the car?

Mike, I think its from the widest part of the car excluding wing mirrors so for a Westfield most likely the rear arches outer edge.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

Mike, I think its from the widest part of the car excluding wing mirrors so for a Westfield most likely the rear arches outer edge.

Correct, that’s why the old Sierra SDV builders, with its extra wide rear track and matching wheel arches used to end up with them spaced so far out!

I IVA'd mine at Kiddy in July.

I fitted the Caterham styles pods, angled them out about 5 degrees and reversed the mounting brackets (swapped LH and RH over) to pass the maximum distance from the widest part of the car test.

However, it nearly failed because of the inside viewing angle-I politely suggested to the tester that because the indicators were below 750mm the inside viewing angle was 20 degrees instead of 45, so it passed.

Rear fog light has to be F or B marked, this was checked at my IVA.

IMG_20170610_103326.jpg

On 13/12/2017 at 21:52, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I’d say as long as they meet the height and visibility requirements (lock to lock) then should be fine. 

On 14/12/2017 at 00:04, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Hmmm.

bear in mind the cycle wings move with the wheels, this means that they could both move into and out of incorrect spacing distances, and also could in theory be shrouded by the nose on full lock.

Lights are only checked with the wheels straight ahead

iva section 20 Installation of Lights 

Note 3:   These lamps should be checked with the wheels in the straight ahead position.

Edited by gremlin1234