XC90s

TAFKARM

Anyone got one? What do I need to know?

Looking at MY09 for the wife, likely a D5 Auto. 

I had one five or six years ago, and R Design with the D5 engine. Superb load lugger and the most comfy seats I’ve ever sat in, in a car.

Had zero faults in my time of ownership, but from a look round on the forums at the time, the main issue I recall them suffering with is the drive to the rear.

Its only part time, and only when the car decides it’s needed. I’m sure the drive shaft to the back came out through the sump, or something daft! Anyway, with lack of use,  the drive to the rear could fail. Can’t remember the exact fault now though but I’m sure it was something to do with the part time transfer unit.

Oh and it gave great mileage for such a big car.

We moved our 2010 XC60 onwards in the middle of last year and the running gear is the same. Watch out for the haldex as Volvo dont have an oil and filter change schedule for these at all , even if VW do every 36k miles. Gearbox is the 6 speed one in auto and not a great gearbox. Worth an oil change which is pricey, the boxes only last just over 100k otherwise. Gets lost in what to do and we had jolting going on. Rear Haldex prop bearings do fail, I thought our was starting the whine. AWD 205bhp is no ball of fire and does 33 mpg on our lifetime average of 3 1/2 years ownership. Auxilary idler on engine for auxilary belt is allegedly on the Mk5 version and still dont work/ last long. Ours failed. Remember these were built under Ford, so interiors werent the greatest with squeaks and rattles a plenty. Our new XC is so much better in every way and still the same shape version. As Dave said the rear prop was known to shear splines off at the diff and make them 2 wd. I believe Volvo do fix it under warranty . 

Good things are that its a great car . Hence why we bought a new one. Its roomy and solid and a great place to sit. Seats are awesome and boot has dog space. Rear legroom is great and so is headroom. We will get another new one in 18 months time of the new version, but for the last of the old shape, it would have to be something really special to beat this one.