The Grand Tour Season 2

CraigHew

Just watched first episode.  I used to think Clarkson, Hammond and May aimed their script at 12 year old boys.  I think that was over-optimistic, more like 7-8 year olds.

No spoilers, make your own minds up.

One thing I will say is that the first episode contains Hammond's crash in the electric supercar.  The crash happened whilst doing a hill-climb event over a very scenic 1 mile course in Switzerland.

I'm simply unable to work out why the numpty didn't slow down once he'd crossed the finish line.... Instead he continued to accelerate then was unable to negotiate the very next bend further up the hill.... Surely rule 1 in hill climb is go as fast as you dare but slow down the instant you cross the line?

I think he was lucky to survive but in my opinion entirely his own fault.

I had a feeling it could be a bit turdy like the first lot. Such a shame to be honest. Will probably watch a bit like the first lot and switch it off again.

3 hours ago, RussH said:

In your opinion, better / worse than series 1?

That's a tough call. As it's a car based programme it's a lot better than 95% of the usual TV rubbish so I'm compelled to watch it.  The production and filming are simply stunning it's just let down so badly by an extremely poor script: point in question Clarkson's juvenile joke about his beige trousers and some guy's unclean A***.

Surely someone on the production team can see they're missing the mark so badly with the pre-pubescent humour which is holding back a potentially great programme.

Maybe I'm just getting older?

I really enjoyed it, perhaps my sense of humour is regressing, or perhaps it’s ‘cause I watched it after getting home from the Cheshire Area Christmas curry! 

On the basis that Celebrity Brain what ever it was called has been dropped now and that the American segment has also gone - though we don’t yet know what will replace the latter, I’d say an improvement over Series One. 

I always quite enjoyed the concept of the interview/Guest driving segment in the old TG, while it’s true, with the wrong guest it could be dire, with the right ones, there were some really great interview segments over the years. - Clarkson did learn how to do a good guest interview over the years TG 2.0 ran, provided it was someone he had chemistry with. So I’m prepared to sit back and see how the new guest segment fairs over the course of the series. 

The thing for me personally with TGT, and the old TG before it, I don’t watch it for car reviews as such, though it’s interesting to drool over the latest hypercars or whatever, I watch it for the inspiration to do daft things like road trips to Le Mans to go camping with a couple of mates, in our Westfields.

• Like 2

I went in expecting a certain level of entertainment, and got that level.

The content wasn't particularly exciting for an opening episode, I prefer the ones where they pretend they've made something or a bit more challenge based.

I will continue to watch.

I thought it was excellent, although I wished I'd sent the kids to bed before they heard the beige trouser story! It's one of the programs I enjoy for the TV picture quality, too.

• Like 1

Watched with younger son, reminded us of last year's European Tour and the great Alpine Passes (need to go again), usual potty humour that transcends our 30+ years age difference. Still trying to work out how the Hamster managed to drop it after the end of the climb, liked the part tarmac/part gravel circuit and the race off between two stars; not sure I needed to see Clarkson getting a spa treatment.......Will be watching again

Mostly as expected really. Glad they dropped Celebrity Brain Crash and the Moaning Yank driver. Mostly harmless nonsense I guess.

• Like 1

Great entertainment with cars :) for me.

well, IMHO episode two was better. enjoyed the "race" which has been a popular TG staple for many years and again the filming / production is second to none.

onwards and upwards...

Nor drive your car right up to Niagara Falls or amend an airline booking without some sort of booking number either.....but we don't watch this for factual accuracy do we :) 

Yep, a better episode for me too.