Who's changed to their winter tyres!

DamperMan

Since I'd bought a set on steels for the current tin top back in the summer,  when used prices where about half of now.....I though i'd fit them this lunch time.   BMW's are not known for there snow abilities.   Better pop to Wicks and buy a few bags of sand for the boot also!.     I'm expecting a plethora  of lights on the dash as they have no TPMS sensors.  The Sensors when I looked cost more than the wheels and tyres.         

I have my winter tyres on my Octavia, on a spare set of alloys which I purchased when I first got the car, from Midland Wheel Supplies. Got them changed over a couple of weeks ago.

Mind you, my Octavia has the optional "intelligent" 4 wheel drive, which only kicks in if the sensors detect the front (driving) wheels spinning, so I'm laughing at the prospect of a bit of snow on the roads.

We've ran Nokian winter tyres on the wife's 2006 320SE for 8 years. They're still on 7mm tread (typically only a 1000 miles per winter) but make a night and day difference. No TPMS sensors to worry about for us though. I generally put them on end of October and remove just before easter. I doubt you'll need the ballast either. Once I saw how much grip they gave, I cockily drove up a 1/3 hill (snow covered road)  on our estate with no trouble (family in the car, boot full of shopping etc) and then realised I'd got to drive back down and it's a T junction at the bottom with no run off etc. The ABS didn't even kick in.:yes:

Just need something to vaporise all the other idiots who can't drive in snow out of the way, including Chelsea tractors!

I did think about putting them on today, we had snow overnight. 

Ironically it was too cold so I couldn't be bothered. 

The wife tends to take my faux by four (on summers) every day anyway, because mine has heated seats... 

• Haha 1

Other than having to press ok it’s just a small tyre symbol on the dash.   So it’s ok. Full traction control off is fantastic, tail slide central :).    My  eldest almost cried while my youngest loved it :) 

Had my winter tyres on a couple of weeks they are on my GTM Libra, I have a set of second alloy wheels with to go snowprox on.

Matty

Just sold mine which I had for the Volvo. Went pretty quick and contributed to a recent trip away and a small profit. Since I sold the AWD XC60 and got a FWD one, thought I would stay indoors than get hit by some dweeb who thinks they can control the Scandinavian flick and then thump my car. We live of a slight hill, with no grit, so most people just slide passed the house . 

Should have fitted them yesterday. Snow in Cheshire and few back lanes gritted. Pirelli sotto zeros are really good. Maybe in the week.

The boys are flat out this week at work with changeovers , the slightest dusting here has sent people scurrying to fit new or winter tyres . Luckily I'm still in the test bay :) which suits me , although -2 in the workshop the emissions tester isn't liking it .

2 hours ago, Arm said:

Should have fitted them yesterday. Snow in Cheshire and few back lanes gritted. Pirelli sotto zeros are really good. Maybe in the week.

Ditto that! AD08Rs aren't much kop in this, struggled to get off my street! Winter wheels / tyres now fitted :)

On 08/12/2017 at 15:30, RussH said:

I did think about putting them on today, we had snow overnight. 

Ironically it was too cold so I couldn't be bothered. 

The wife tends to take my faux by four (on summers) every day anyway, because mine has heated seats... 

Got round to it today and snapped the locking nut off :/

Problem with winters tyres is you can only go as fast as the idiot in front, and if they get stuck trying to get up a hill too slowly, then your getting stuck and potentially hit by said idiot as they come barrelling back down toward you (remember your dashcams folks).

Put mine on last week.......2days later the white stuff decended in anger.....phew as otherwise tin top is useless.