New member - ex-wscc car?

Hunter

Hello Hunter,

Welcome from the Peak District area. Enjoy your chilly drive home on Saturday, it's good training for if you can join us on our winter days out, all details in the EVENTS section.

As for rolling road, my Zetec went to Northampton Motor Sport, not exactly on the doorstep, but it only went once, they do the job right first time, 24,000miles later and it is still running perfect, can't ask for better than that.

Cheers, Julie

40 minutes ago, jimbobtcc206 said:

Hi Hunter, welcome. I’m N Sheffield too. Where abouts are you? I’m just off M1 Jct 36.

Sounds like very, very close by.....! Eek!

2 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

Hello Hunter,

Welcome from the Peak District area. Enjoy your chilly drive home on Saturday, it's good training for if you can join us on our winter days out, all details in the EVENTS section.

As for rolling road, my Zetec went to Northampton Motor Sport, not exactly on the doorstep, but it only went once, they do the job right first time, 24,000miles later and it is still running perfect, can't ask for better than that.

Cheers, Julie

Brill thanks Julie. Might have to use it for a 'work' visit ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter said:

Sounds like very, very close by.....! Eek!

Brilliant. Sounds like we’ll be able to help each other out pretty easily then. If you need anything/any help once you get the car let me know! And of course there’s also opportunity to have a drive out sometimes too. I’ve only had mine 3 weeks so I’m just doing a few bits to tidy it up at the minute. I’ll drop you a PM

Welcome!

1 hour ago, Hunter said:

So, nobody knows my 'new' car then?!

Possibly not, but don’t forget, plenty of members only dip into the forum occasionally. Plus, and this is the thing many of us regular users of the Forum forget, as big and busy as the Forum is, less than a third of WSCC members actually use it! For many, a combination of the magazine, monthly meets and local get-togethers is where they’re at.

If you wanted to stand a good chance of reaching pretty much every member, you could always write a little piece for the magazine about the purchase of your new car etc, with some photos and a request for anyone who new it’s history to get in touch...

Certainly the mag is always looking for fresh content and it’s great to read something a wee bit different occasionally, like someone getting their first Westfield. :yes:

1 minute ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Welcome!

Possibly not, but don’t forget, plenty of members only dip into the forum occasionally. Plus, and this is the thing many of us regular users of the Forum forget, as big and busy as the Forum is, less than a third of WSCC members actually use it! For many, a combination of the magazine, monthly meets and local get-togethers is where they’re at.

If you wanted to stand a good chance of reaching pretty much every member, you could always write a little piece for the magazine about the purchase of your new car etc, with some photos and a request for anyone who new it’s history to get in touch...

Certainly the mag is always looking for fresh content and it’s great to read something a wee bit different occasionally, like someone getting their first Westfield. :yes:

Thanks Dave - I may well do that!

Looking forward to collecting it on Saturday and contending with "light snow" on the way back. My god, what have I done?! lol ;-)

The makings of an epic first-journey story right there!

It’s all part of the ownership adventure, if I’m honest, I’m always slightly jealous when I read the tales of epic cross country trips, getting the new addition home, that first time.

Wrap up warm, don’t forget a properly wind proof layer, gloves and trousers included, not just jacket. Bikers neck rolls and or a good scarf are really good at keeping the wind off the back of your neck, along with decent headgear if it’s really cold - there’s a reason the trappers hats are popular with seven owners at this time of year!

And then, just take it easy. I’m not sure how much experience you have with rear drive cars, but the Westfields lack of weight and modern driving aids, means if you’re too heavy footed, you can provoke the tail! (Also seen as part of the fun, when you’re in the mood and the right place ;) ). But taken gently and smoothly, it shouldn’t be a problem.

- just reread your first post, plenty of rear drive experience already, fantastic, you’ll have a hoot! Just dress for the weather.

Yup, got an Alpine Stars insulated jacket, full body waterproofs, thermals, balaclava, arai helmet, gloves etc. Ear plugs too I think, lol

My BMW is struggling for traction right now and that's with every driver aid invented by Ze Chermans, so I shall proceed with caution in the wee beastie on Saturday.

Welcome to the club mate. I'm just off junction 30, but tend to use Tankersley as the start point for blats.

Quite a few of us have used AP Racing Engines in Mansfield. A little more spit n sawdust than NMS - but Andrew really knows his stuff and is very reasonable priced. He's worked magic with my duratec. Tell him Russ with the Yellow Westfield sent you, although he might put his price up ;) 

The low weight of a Westfield can be both a help and a hindrance in slippy weather; yes, it's easy to provoke, but on the other hand, with reasonable tyres, it will often grip and go, when a big heavy car just can't get traction.

If you've got a long way to go, ear plugs under a helmet are definately a good idea, on the louder Westfields anyway. (I started wearing them relatively late in the ownership of my old extra loud car, and paid the penalty with my ears/hearing).

26 minutes ago, RussH said:

Welcome to the club mate. I'm just off junction 30, but tend to use Tankersley as the start point for blats.

Quite a few of us have used AP Racing Engines in Mansfield. A little more spit n sawdust than NMS - but Andrew really knows his stuff and is very reasonable priced. He's worked magic with my duratec. Tell him Russ with the Yellow Westfield sent you, although he might put his price up ;) 

Ah, Tankersley is about 3-4 miles from me! :)

Will speak with AP Racing and see what they say. Low revs really don't sound good on 'my' Zetec - really need to dig into whats causing it. Bag of nails is a bit harsh, but it doesn't sound or feel good - rough and stuttery.  I'll do a full service over Christmas (oil, filters, plugs etc) and see what its like after that, then get it booked in to AP.

Is there nobody in Sheffield/Doncaster/Rotherham/Wakefield etc with a rolling road and enough experience on Westfields?

29 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The low weight of a Westfield can be both a help and a hindrance in slippy weather; yes, it's easy to provoke, but on the other hand, with reasonable tyres, it will often grip and go, when a big heavy car just can't get traction.

If you've got a long way to go, ear plugs under a helmet are definately a good idea, on the louder Westfields anyway. (I started wearing them relatively late in the ownership of my old extra loud car, and paid the penalty with my ears/hearing).

Yup, my Porker wasn't the quietest - sounded great through the revs, but on the motorway at 80ish, roof down, with a de-cat straight through Direnza exhaust, the drone was awful - earplugs or noise cancelling earphones worked a treat!

• Like 1