Dominator Headlamps - Difference?

Valentinik

I'm looking to sort the headlamps out on my build. I'd planned on using Dominators, but noticed theres a few different types.

These from eBay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322884392274

and the items westfield sell: https://parts.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=809&search=headlamp&description=true

Obviously there is quite a difference in price, but i wanted to know if the lamps differ in any way? Are the westfield items better in any way?

Thanks

Mike

I believe they are equally dim :) 

Forget the looks and go for 5.75" LED...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I believe they are equally dim :) 

Forget the looks and go for 5.75" LED...

Thanks Mike, to be honest, i never intend on the car going out in the dark, or the rain for that matter.

It will primarily be a sprint/track car, the only need for the lights is the IVA/MOTs.

I have the eBay ones Mike, they look fine, I tested with a 9V battery although I haven't fitted them yet. The mounting bolt is much smaller than the hole in the westfield headlamp bracket. Note that the eBay listing is for one lamp although the image shows two.

@CosKev I haven't heard that before, what's the issue? They have the right component approvals.

I fitted some to one of my previous westy's , ebay specials . I set them up on the headlamp aligner at work and pattern was ok , however on driving at night it was scary how poor they were .

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I have the eBay ones Mike, they look fine, I tested with a 9V battery although I haven't fitted them yet. The mounting bolt is much smaller than the hole in the westfield headlamp bracket. Note that the eBay listing is for one lamp although the image shows two.

@CosKev I haven't heard that before, what's the issue? They have the right component approvals.

Beam pattern is the usual issue. 

Also IIRC the actual size of the headlight on a Westfield, to meet the height requirements you need to lift them up?

Pretty sure it was in the build thread of@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Found it, page 14 onwards, unfortunately the images are broken but the info is there.

Need to check the distance from the outboard edge of the lens to the maximum vehicle width.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

Found it, page 14 onwards, unfortunately the images are broken but the info is there.

Yes - dropBox screwed me over on the images!

I'll add the relevant ones back in if I can

OK, I remember now - because my car is a wide-ass SDV, I needed to move the Dominator style light out as well as up - that's what the pics were showing. But if you have a 'normal' car then they just need to be moved up using a spacer that comes with the kit (mine did anyway) - it's about 20-25mm deep aluminium.

I'll dig those pics out if you want?

Thanks for all the replies guys, i think i'l give them a go, and if i have any issues get a set of larger lights for the test if needs be.

Mike

Does anyone know how much the Dominator light weighs compared to the stock Westie head lights?

dave

9 hours ago, Davemk1 said:

Does anyone know how much the Dominator light weighs compared to the stock Westie head lights?

dave

I have the Westfield supplied 4" Dominator headlamps (unfitted) I could weigh if it's of use.

4 hours ago, TableLeg said:

I have the Westfield supplied 4" Dominator headlamps (unfitted) I could weigh if it's of use.

That would be great - thank you!

dave

4 hours ago, Davemk1 said:

That would be great - thank you!

dave

Here you go Dave,

WF Dominators.jpg