Carbs to Throttle bodies cost

MarkS2

Hi all, 

After a bit of guidance with a quotation I have received.

I am considering moving from webber 45 carbs to throttle bodies on my C20XE powered westie, and have received a quotation for all the conversion and also a breakdown for labour costs. 

It is the labour I am after advice with.

The quote for labour only is just shy of £1500, and this sounds a little steep to me, so please can anyone offer an opinion about this price.

More detail needed really.

Just looking back to Scott’s carb to bike throttle body conversion earlier this year, there were quite a few man hours in that, that normally you wouldn’t think twice about when doing the job yourself. Plus the rolling road cost, which could add £300 or £400 or so in labour on its own.

what are they actually doing? Will they have to be fabricating parts? Will they have to be removing the tank and fitting an injection tank, or are they modifying an existing tank, if so how? Will they be running the extra fuel line? Plumbing in a low pressure pump/high pressure pump and swirl pot? What about crank trigger, do they have to fit a trigger wheel, fabricate a bracket etc?

it could be quite reasonable for the work required, or it could be hellishly overpriced, without knowing the scope of the job, it’s impossible to say.

Its not necessarily that it’s too difficult, but some things that might need doing are time consuming.

Just to add, a C20XE should really be at the easier end of the scale, as in theory it already has a trigger wheel built in, and an OEM crank trigger that bolts on, so no special fabrication required. 

Yep no fabrication required other than modifying the standard tank for the swirl pot and high pressure fuel pump would be used.

The price does not include any rolling road time either and is based on them supplying all parts at extra cost.

15 hours ago, MarkS2 said:

Yep no fabrication required other than modifying the standard tank for the swirl pot and high pressure fuel pump would be used.

The price does not include any rolling road time either and is based on them supplying all parts at extra cost.

Sounds like they want to get rich at your expense. Go elsewhere is my advice

Thanks guys, the total cost to supply all that is needed to convert a c20xe from Webber's 45s to throttle bodies is coming in at £4200 that does include a massive £360 for new injectors which I have no idea why they say I need them when Omex state with their kit standard injectors can be used, does anyone know if I will need new injectors too?

2 minutes ago, MarkS2 said:

Thanks guys, the total cost to supply all that is needed to convert a c20xe from Webber's 45s to throttle bodies is coming in at £4200 that does include a massive £360 for new injectors which I have no idea why they say I need them when Omex state with their kit standard injectors can be used, does anyone know if I will need new injectors too?

If you currently have carbs, what ignition system are you using? Is it standard dissy or an ECU?

Standard injectors are fine for a standard or mildly modified engine.

The process of bolting the parts on eg new tank, extra fuel pipe, throttle bodies, wiring loom is fairly straight forward and can be done DIY. its the mapping that's the important part and needs an expert

My engine is a 1.8 zetec and I fitted a set of zx10r throttle bodies which had the standard included injectors, plus that came with an inlet manifold, bells, filter, wiring loom and ecu from Danst engineering.

Came to about £1600 plus a basic map session which made 165bhp. I'm sure they do one for your engine.

I have DanST inlet manifold, DanST backplate and trumpets, GSXR 1000 throttle bodies and hayabusa injectors. I originally used a fairly old MBE ECU and made 185bhp. 

You can buy a complete kit from DanST with new ECU for (as above) about £1600  a swirl pot set up with a hp pump alongside your current lp one will set you back less than £200 depending on pump. Mapping will be £300 ish  

You don’t need to spend £4K :)

Ouch, that's a bit eye-watering!

1 hour ago, MarkS2 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Omex kit comes with injectors. It assume you are using the injectors 'originally supplied with the engine to keep costs down' but that assumes it's coming out of an Astra GTE or something, not a WF on carbs! Hence why you're being charged for new injectors.

On the labour charge, I'd have thought no more than 2 days work tops (excluding an RR session), so 2x8x£hourly rate should give you an idea of what they should be charging for labour - then they'll add the dreaded VAT of course.

34 minutes ago, MarkS2 said:

Thanks that clears that up then, looks like I do need injectors.

Get some bike ITBs with injectors for £100-£200. Or the full DanST kit will have injectors. 750-1000cc bike injectors will work fine on a standard 2.0 car engine.