land rover

tim

Having owned a Disco 4 on lease for a while, you're a braver man than I! It came with a few electronics faults built in. I'm not sure I'd want to own one out-of-warranty. Although, conversely, it was the "best" car I've ever owned, as in the most complete all rounder, and I still miss it.  But the level of complexity and "interconnectedness" between its electronic systems was a thing to behold...

I have had a disco 3 and disco 4 from new

Disco 3 had a fault with header tank sensor and water got in to tailgate switch.  Those were only faults in 6 years and 65000 miles.  

Disco 4 no faults in 4 years and 25,000 miles 

Perhaps I was lucky or the internet means you get a distorted view of people always posting faults

The main issue is the dealer costs are very high.

At the moment I have a Defender 90 and defender 110.

I am missing a disco in the fleet.  Keep looking online at disco 5s but  price has got silly and I don't really like automatics.  Ultimately that was why I sold the disco 4. I am thinking of a nice disco II and ultimately building up on a new galvanised chassis with a slight lift as an offroad toy and a keeper.

David

I had a Disco II for a while David and whilst is was a great car, being old the amount of rust really wasn't funny and I'd bought it thinking like you that I'd keep it but each MOT started to get more and more painfull and I wondered why I was bothering. Now a Defender makes more sense, maybe ???

Nick I think it only makes sense if you fit galavanised chassis but the costs then mean you need to own a while to get value

• Thanks 1

Sad to say mine was supplied by a lease company who at the time, were one of Land Rover's biggest UK customers, and my example was nothing out of the ordinary.

Your're right about the dealers though, absolutely shocking, the one's I tried locally. Mind you, turning up at the one in Knutsford in a month old Disco 4, 3.0 HSE had about the same effect as turning up at a Ford dealer in the eighties would in a poverty spec Fiesta 900(?) Popular!!

I'm sure if you could find the right car, you could get a cracker though.

Tim was wanting one

Have a look on disco4.com forum, one or two for sale from members of the forum

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.