Reading material

JAD86

As I'm very new to Westfields (all kit cars in fact), I'd really like to get to know the car in more detail. I have the spec list of mine but have to admit - I've rather jumped into all this.

The FAQ section has a lot of threads, some old, some new - are there any suggestions for mandatory reading to understand these cars? Mechanical differences, driving, upgrading/modifying, preventative maintenance etc. I'm open to any suggestions. 

:ww:

Best bet is to get along to a local meet and talk to owners and maybe see soms cars (not the best time of year though).

Where are you based?

39 minutes ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

:ww:

Best bet is to get along to a local meet and talk to owners and maybe see soms cars (not the best time of year though).

Where are you based?

Thanks Kevin. Based in SW London/Surrey. New Malden to be precise.

11 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

What about this as a guide to the different models and types of Westfield.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westfield-Story-Pictorial-Review-Enthusiasts/dp/0952808633

Jolly good - bought!

1 hour ago, JAD86 said:

Thanks Kevin. Based in SW London/Surrey. New Malden to be precise.

Jolly good - bought!

Both the Thames Valley and Essex area meets are the 2nd Sunday of the month and..........I believe the Surrey area is looking for someone to step up as AO :d.

Feel free to pop over to our meet Sunday week!

• Like 1

I would make yourself a document of the personal specifications of your car.

As every kit car is different and if its second hand then it will no doubt have been modified or improved by previous owners

The purpose is to get to know your car and be able to order and fit parts for it when it needs them.

You dont want to be in a position of something needing replacing and not being able to order the right one or if you take it to a garage they will say what vehicle is this from?

The forum will help but do some diligent research of your car and reading old threads, googling part numbers etc to know what you need and where to get it.

It best to know your own car and its requirements rather than wait for it to break, not be able to use it and then order the wrong part in panic/frustration and miss the nice weather whilst you wait for your delivery......

Starting at the front consider service items such as

Radiator, temperature senders, coils packs, spark plugs, oil filter, air filters, brake pads, discs and calipers, what instruments, switches and dials do you have.

Towards the back items like fuel pumps, filters and also suspension - dampers, spring ratings and any old geometry information it has been set to if you like the way it drives.

Dont forget the fun research into your engine spec, cam, pistons, timing etc

Westfield can supply some items but not everything and you will become a good internet searcher for good suppliers of obscure car parts.

For instance and for a reason totally unknown, my car has a radiator temperature sender from an Alfa Romeo 164 V6 and a Ford Transit van fuel filter. I spent a long time in my local parts store opening boxes and measuring.

As a closing point many of us replace our fuel hose quite frequently due to high ethanol content damaging fuel lines, if you have not done it , check the condition and ensure you order the right one for fuel injection for replacement - search the forum for "gates barricade" hose.

Cheers Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:ww: JAD86    It would be nice to know your name.       99% of what you want to know is on this forum, somewhere.   Use the search function and read some build threads.  You'll also receive a wave of answers for any questions you ask.

38 minutes ago, 6carjon said:

I would make yourself a document of the personal specifications of your car.

As every kit car is different and if its second hand then it will no doubt have been modified or improved by previous owners

The purpose is to get to know your car and be able to order and fit parts for it when it needs them.

You dont want to be in a position of something needing replacing and not being able to order the right one or if you take it to a garage they will say what vehicle is this from?

The forum will help but do some diligent research of your car and reading old threads, googling part numbers etc to know what you need and where to get it.

It best to know your own car and its requirements rather than wait for it to break, not be able to use it and then order the wrong part in panic/frustration and miss the nice weather whilst you wait for your delivery......

Starting at the front consider service items such as

Radiator, temperature senders, coils packs, spark plugs, oil filter, air filters, brake pads, discs and calipers, what instruments, switches and dials do you have.

Towards the back items like fuel pumps, filters and also suspension - dampers, spring ratings and any old geometry information it has been set to if you like the way it drives.

I had a "know your Westfield document" that came with my car. One of the previous owners had put it together. All about what it takes brake pads, oil filter, supension clicks settings for road and track. How to access certain things to get at stuff. It's fantastic, that few sheets of A4. It has saved me a lot of headaches.

• Like 1

@SXRORY perhaps you can post it up here to enable others to copy the format. I appreciate the values are specific to your car, but it's sounds a great idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rory's Dad said:

I have one on an excel worksheet and am happy to pass a copy on to anyone who like it.

Yes, please share. The more we see the better!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

@SXRORY perhaps you can post it up here to enable others to copy the format. I appreciate the values are specific to your car, but it's sounds a great idea.

Yep sure I'll stick it up 

• Like 2