Very Sad News

davidgh

It is with great sadness that I have to report that long-time SS competitor Martin Hepworth died last evening after a short illness.

Martin was an old-school "good bloke": unfailingly friendly, positive, generous, helpful and cheery. He was also a gentleman. Talented and very determined, he made Squadron Leader in the RAF the hard way  --  starting out in the ranks.

Having spent much of his career on the engineering of jet fighters, during the last twenty years Martin developed a love of planes of an earlier generation, becoming one of the country's leading experts in the maintenance and restoration of Spitfires and other Merlin-engined types. He was working part time until a very few weeks ago, and will be sorely missed at Duxford.

I first met Martin in 1970, marshalling at Snetterton with the BRSCC, and we have been firm friends ever since. In fact, he was entirely to blame for getting me into kit-cars, sprinting, and, not least, the WSCC.

My thoughts are with Monica and his daughter, Emma.

David

• Sad 1

Wow David. Incredibly sad news indeed and quite a shock. He was always a genuine gentleman and was always pleasant to talk to. Please pass on Jane and my condolences to Monica

That's quite a shock,.

So sorry to hear this news,  my thoughts are with family and friends. 

Such sad news, so sorry to hear it, David please pass on condolences - Martin was always such a gentleman, I have many fond memories of our CVH battles on track ..... a true gent

That's very sad news to hear David, Martin was as you have said a true gentleman and a pleasure to be with. Always had an interesting tale and one of life's positive people. I had many enjoyable conversations with him, he will be sorely missed. Please pass on Jane & my condolences to Monica and his family.

I, too, am sad to hear of Martin's death. I met him only once and that was when I went to his home to buy his trailer from him in December 2012. We had a long chat about things Westfield and non-Westfield and I realised at the time that he was really nice chap and one I'd happily spend time with. Condolences to his family. 

I didn't know Martin personally, but as a fellow ex RAF man who made it to senior officer the hard way and a Westfield owner, I can well understand what a nice chap he must have been - a special breed.  I send my condolences to friends and family, too.  Per Ardua Ad Astra.

A very very sad day indeed. Martin was my mentor when I started the Speed Series and friend. He was a real gentleman and a very kind person. He put his family first and will be dearly missed by all.

He was restoring a classic Lola Formula Ford with the potential goal of putting his grandson in the driving seat. @DavidH if that project has not been finished then perhaps the two of us need to complete in Martin's memory and get Harvey out sprinting.

Paul

• Like 4

very sad . great bloke 

please pass on my  Condolences to his family.

Martin was one of the first people I met when I entered the speed series for the first time in 2010. We competed in the same class so normally found ourselves next to each other in the paddock. I always found him so welcoming and friendly, and even after I stopped racing the Westfield we still chatted whenever we met and bumped into each other on a couple of occasions on the grass banks at Snetterton. 

Really sad to read of Martin's passing, please pass on our condolences. 

Thats very sad . Martin was a true gent and full of enthusiasm for the sport

David

This is very sad news.

We were always very close in our duells in class C when I started!

A very pleasant and informative member of our club as well as a dedicated family man.

Please pass on my deepest condolances to Monica and the rest of the family.

Please advise details of the funeral when known!

Deeply shocked

Graham

I am very sad to hear the news that Martin has passed away. He was  always good company in the paddock and a true gent.

I remember well the hospitality shown to me by Martin and Monica when I stayed at their house on a visit to Hethel.

David I would be grateful if you could pass on my condolences.

Stu

Oh no what a shock.

Martin was a true gentleman, and will be sadly missed.

Please pass on my condolences to Monica and the family, and to you too David on the loss of a close friend.