Side indicators and MOT

JAD86

Hi folks,

My new (to me) car was delivered in a SORN state and thus I need to take it to have an MOT.

The previous owner has swapped the front arches for carbon ones, and in doing so has removed the side repeaters. My indicators now flash as if to suggest a bulb has blown, presumably because the relay fitted is one suited to having 6 bulbs to control.

Is this flash rate an MOT failure and are a lack of side repeaters also an MOT failure? Simple remedy is to refit them but interested if I can get around spend/fitting time. 

Many thanks!

James 

You can either fit the indicators and hide them under the bonnet and hope they dont notice , or fit a relay that doesnt have a bi metallic switch , such as an LED indicator relay, which should slow the rate down. Either way, indicators going mental will ring alarms bells with the tester if you try it without fixing it. Saying that, it isnt much effort to get the wing indicators refitted .

My side repeaters are in the body, not wing.

Is it any easier for you to fit them like that ?

IMG_20171014_122200.thumb.jpg.f150356f29b2148f3d50faee6aeec68c.jpg

For the MOT, the flash rate of the indicators must be between 60 and 120 flashes per minute. The requirement for indicator side repeaters applies to vehicle registered after 1st April 1986 so are not required if your car is on a 'Q' plate as they are treated as registered on 1st Jan 1971.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

... not required if your car is on a 'Q' plate as they are treated as registered on 1st Jan 1971.

This applies to a few MOT items. Which is why I love my Q plate :t-up:

As for indicator issue, just fit a new relay.

Just now, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I was going to say that but if it is not a Q plate then the side repeaters should be refitted!

57 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

I was going to say that but if it is not a Q plate then the side repeaters should be refitted!

Ah yes, good point!

12 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

You can either fit the indicators and hide them under the bonnet and hope they dont notice , or fit a relay that doesnt have a bi metallic switch , such as an LED indicator relay, which should slow the rate down. Either way, indicators going mental will ring alarms bells with the tester if you try it without fixing it. Saying that, it isnt much effort to get the wing indicators refitted .

11 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

11 hours ago, toys4x4boys said:

My side repeaters are in the body, not wing.

Is it any easier for you to fit them like that ?

IMG_20171014_122200.thumb.jpg.f150356f29b2148f3d50faee6aeec68c.jpg

11 hours ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

For the MOT, the flash rate of the indicators must be between 60 and 120 flashes per minute. The requirement for indicator side repeaters applies to vehicle registered after 1st April 1986 so are not required if your car is on a 'Q' plate as they are treated as registered on 1st Jan 1971.

11 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Gents, many thanks for the above. All great info and as I had feared re the indicator rate.

A new relay sounds the best course of action - thanks again for the advice. Next question, where is the relay and any links to an led relay (will of course Google it too)?

Depending on the age of the car it should be under the dash , there are few on ebay just look for the led tagged ones . Personally I would fit side repeaters even though they are not required , a lot of people don't even see our cars . Fitment in the side panels or I have even seen some in the scuttles of cars too every extra part of visibility will add to your safety there are some classy drivers out there .

1 hour ago, JulianE said:

Depending on the age of the car it should be under the dash , there are few on ebay just look for the led tagged ones . Personally I would fit side repeaters even though they are not required , a lot of people don't even see our cars . Fitment in the side panels or I have even seen some in the scuttles of cars too every extra part of visibility will add to your safety there are some classy drivers out there .

A very fair piece of advice, which I will listen to post MOT this Friday - thanks, Julian. For now I am going to change the relay as a stop gap until the weather allows for the drilling and fitting of side repeaters, i.e. doing the job properly rather than sticking them in any old position. 

• Like 1

Location found and a stop gap ordered for now, based on a thread on here for one with an audible buzzer.