A really bad day

TAFKARM

I don't really know why I'm posting this, I'm feeling a little traumatised. It might be upsetting, so please bear in mind if you want to read on. 

This afternoon, Beth and I were first on the scene to a very serious car crash, I'll keep the details brief as Im sure there will be an investigation, suffice to say it was a head on collision in a remote area. For those who don't know, Beth's a Doctor. We stopped, assessed the scene and their was one major casualty. Beth did her stuff, myself and two other guys had to drag him out of the car to perform CPR. 4 of us fought for 15 mins to save him, but he was pronounced dead when the Air Ambulance turned up. 

Its brought home home how fragile we are, but also how strangers pull together to help, what a great job the emergency services do for us, and how careful we need to be in our westies. It's not nesscessarily our mistakes, but those of others that can determine our outcomes. 

Stay safe, I need a drink. 

• Sad 1

It's always sad to read a post like this and thoughts are with the families involved..and the folk that were on scene to assist. 

Very sad situation, but you did your best to save him. i am sure that in time you will realise this, but if he was in the situation of no survival, sometimes whatever you could have done, would not have saved him. 

There was a similar situation where I go MTB riding and a guy smashed head first into a tree. He had ridden that section hundreds of times. He was found very shortly after by people I used to ride with. They administered CPR for over 45 mins !! The emergency services turned up and took over, but to no avail. By all accounts , his mate he usually  rides with was a trauma brain guy and when the autopsy came through, he said he had no chance. The guys were thanked by the family for everything they did, as they did their best, just like you have tried. I am sure the situation is feeling very raw at the moment, Russ. But , you did the best for the guy . Take care Russ and talk to us all , if you need to.  

Russ

I know exactly how you are feeling. I witnessed a fatal head on collision (actually saw it happen) a week before Xmas 2 years ago.

I still think about it on the odd occasion now.

You may get a few bad dreams over the next week or so, take care.

proud of you m8 for doing your bit :yes:

If it puts it into perspective, then the Red Cross told me at my refresher course in the summer, that emergency CPR only gives a 13% chance of recovery. Having a defib gives a 70% chance. that is as long as it is just the heart. We have a defib at work now and made the rest of the estate aware of this. Russ, we are all proud of what you did , so hold your head up high. 

Clearly you and the others did what they could and even though you wife is a Dr unless she is in A&E even she will still not be used to dealing with the events as it is the urgency the feeling of hopelessness that perhaps she could have done more.

my daughter has worked in A&E for a few years and they still find with everything to hand to save people so out on a road with no equipment it is mostly luck that people survive.

All of you involved will never be the same again but you can be proud of what you did and especially of your wife who had a better chance of success than you alone.

You might find you need to speak with an expert later if you find difficulties with what you saw, don't be All macho it is not uncommon and will help.

Chin up Russ. Being in a traumatic situation like that certainly makes you reflect on life itself. Take Care buddy.