B+E trailer test

Deanspoors

Well today I went for my B+E trailer test having had a 2 hour assessment by an instructor earlier on in the month he had said that I should be fine with going straight for a test and he only recommended another hour lesson to get familiar with the test routes as I am from "out of town", this was quite refreshing to hear, instead of someone trying to sell me however many hours of possibly unnecessary lessons. So, woke up this morning with knots in my stomach from the thought of my driving style being examined and scrutinised.. I've been driving 13 years now so have picked up plenty of bad habits and also have driven pretty much only automatic cars for the last 4 years, so going to do my trailer test in a manual was a little daunting. Started off by carrying the very simple show me/tell me questions (show me how you would test the horn) and then out to the carpark to carryout the manoeuvres; reverse into a bay, uncouple and recouple then a 60 or so minute drive through the city, all the time trying to gauge the examiner for any clues on how I was doing.... I started to get quite worried after 50 or so minutes when he still hadn't opened his clipboard! Back to the test station and a big sigh of relief when I was told that I had passed with no minors. Yipee. one step closer to the goal of going racing next year. All I need now is a nice big covered trailer with a little workbench in.. best get christmas shopping for myself! :)

• Like 6

Is the b+e test always necessary? I looked on the gov uk website and got this

Screenshot_20171124-211746.thumb.png.67552f71dae1b005f1dfaf0b0a1d5326.png

My take on this is that so long as your tow vehicle, trailer and whats being trailered is under 3.5T combined then the test wasnt needed.

Or am i just reading that completely wrong?

Hi Chris, I was using the above allowance of 3.5t combined MAM to tow my current trailer. BUT.. this is calculated like such, i.e. for me; 

Audi S4 Avant - Gross Vehicle Weight 2265kg (not the actual weight, but the car maximum plated weight)

Trailer - Gross Weight 1235kg (downplated by Brian James)

= total GTW 3500kg.

Trailer weight was approx 700kg (a guesstimate) which meant I couldn't put more than 535kg inside my trailer which is pushing it, even for my busa. 

As you can see the above if my car or trailer plated GVW was slightly higher then I would easily be over the 3500kg limit. 

Another issue I found when looking to find a trailer to downplate is some manufacturers willingness to make up a plate for a lower gross weight, I found PRG couldn't lower a certain range of their trailers below 1400kg GVW as their  couplings are rated to 1400kg minimum. 

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and do a couple lessons and have a bash at the test, turned out okay in the end and now I can legally tow something a lot bigger.

EDITED TO ADD: Basically it's not the actual weight of car and trailer, but the plated weight which it goes off, even if you're towing an empty trailer, if it had a trailer plated gross weight of i.e. 2500kg and a car which weighed 1400kg you'd be well over the limit. 

Interesting dean.

Who did you use and at what cost? If you dont mind me asking.

Something i will need to look into now reading what you say

2 hours ago, bunje said:

How much did it all cost you if you dont mind me asking as this is something I'm looking into. 

The test fee is £115, and three lessons cost me £105 / £35 per hour. But I think I did the bare minimum number of lessons as I already had some towing experience. 

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Trailer test passed, congratulations. :yes: Have you done your ARDs test yet Dean?

Hi Andrew, thanks! I got my starter pack through the door but couldn't get my medical sorted in time for the last ARDS test at Knockhill, so will do it early next year now :)

2 minutes ago, chriss1455 said:

Interesting dean.

Who did you use and at what cost? If you dont mind me asking.

Something i will need to look into now reading what you say

The test fee is £115, and three lessons cost me £105 / £35 per hour. But I think I did the bare minimum number of lessons as I already had some towing experience, I used this guy here https://www.jacksdrivingschool.co.uk/ really happy with his instructing, we got on well. He's based in Newton Aycliffe, and did my test in Darlington. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deanspoors said:

The test fee is £115, and three lessons cost me £105 / £35 per hour. But I think I did the bare minimum number of lessons as I already had some towing experience. 

Thanks Dean I have been towing for a few years also so I'm not worried about the test more so my bad habits lol

Just now, bunje said:

Thanks Dean I have been towing for a few years also so I'm not worried about the test more so my bad habits lol

A couple lessons and you should be good to go for a test, the hardest bit for me was remembering how to drive properly.. and also remembering how to drive a manual :p

19 minutes ago, Deanspoors said:

Hi Andrew, thanks! I got my starter pack through the door but couldn't get my medical sorted in time for the last ARDS test at Knockhill, so will do it early next year now :)

I presume you've seen the nsscc calendar? first race Oulton at the end of March. So, just ards to get and build a car? :t-up:

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I presume you've seen the nsscc calendar? first race Oulton at the end of March. So, just ards to get and build a car? :t-up:

Worst comes to worst I'll just use my car :p 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deanspoors said:

The test fee is £115, and three lessons cost me £105 / £35 per hour. But I think I did the bare minimum number of lessons as I already had some towing experience, I used this guy here https://www.jacksdrivingschool.co.uk/ really happy with his instructing, we got on well. He's based in Newton Aycliffe, and did my test in Darlington. 

Cheers dean. Darlo could be a bit far from me but looking at the prices it looks cheaper than places ive looked at around Newcastle