Type 9 gearbox

Tim Reid

Looking to buy a type 9. Either heavy duty to standard that I can get rebuilt.

Without bell housing unless you happen to have a sigma one.

Cash waiting.

6 hours ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Looking to buy a type 9. Either heavy duty to standard that I can get rebuilt.

Without bell housing unless you happen to have a sigma one.

Cash waiting.

Tim don't forget I have a standard which could be rebuilt or exchanged

I have a type 9 box, one of the heavy versions with the longer input shaft which I believe has a slightly higher first gear.  I believe that it is ok.    I would exchange this for a standard type 9 that functions ok!   No bell housing.

A type 9 with s longer input shaft is generally the Capri V6 box. 

This has a slightly longer first, though not much, and a roller bearing on the layshaft. 

I think the OP is after a BGH or SPC “heavy duty” box that would normally be completely rebuilt with HD mods and a short input shaft and a significantly shorter first (well under 3-1)  

HTH

BGH and SPC are often mentioned.   My HD close ratio box was built by MK   And a lot cheaper and after 1 year appears fine.  I’m just adding this for an option.     I also have my old type 9 I’ve hung on to and could be sold if some one wants to make an offer. 

Btw wasn’t meaning to shout down @geoff80 here just pointing out that most requests for a HD box are for an Uprated short shaft type 9 rather than the long shaft V6 Box even though the V6 is often referred to as HD :t-up:

It gets complicated, because the V6 box is Ford’s heavy duty box, all be it the long input shaft comes as a free “bonus”. While the different first gear ratio is of comparatively marginal benefit, at lot of people do like to buy these as conversion projects for proper after market HD boxes, as they are a better starting point, and the long input shaft is easily swappable for a regular one, during the rebuild.

Mat at Procomp has a rebuilt type 9 Quaife Clubman SCCR one for sale - 0121 350 3258

1 hour ago, John said:

Mat at Procomp has a rebuilt type 9 Quaife Clubman SCCR one for sale - 0121 350 3258

Thanks. I just gave him a call. Very helpful and a great sounding box but it's not for me as I would be pushing the limits of the power handling.

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.