21st Party -Hillclimb try and evening dinner

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

13 hours ago, XTR2Turbo said:

Why does this event clash with a speed series round? 

Because Borough 19 lost their usual date at Snetterton for May and had to move to a date in June as an alternative. It wasn't previously a clash.

58 minutes ago, John said:

Because Borough 19 lost their usual date at Snetterton for May and had to move to a date in June as an alternative. It wasn't previously a clash.

I hope that there can be a resolution as I would have thought that many of the entrants for Snetterton would also want to support the 21st event.

It has been discussed and the issue resolved around us supporting the Borough 19 event if possible without affecting the Shelsley Walsh do. As already stated B19 were let down by Snetterton and had to change the date. My concern is that if we do not support B19 they may lose the event and we would prefer that not to happen. Whilst there may be a few people who regularly attend Snetterton I am not sure how many would want to drive their car at Shelsley. They still have the choice if there it is a conflict. My guess is only a handful (say 5-6) might have an issue. There certainly seems to be plenty of support for attending Shelsley but not many existing SS drivers? Maybe they would be happy to attend but not drive? Personally I will be probably be away in France so not able to attend either event.

The problem as I see it is that the event (at Shelsley) is open to all club members, but is to celebrate 21 years of the Speed Series, so it would be a shame if  some of the Speed Series competitors cannot make the Shelsley event because of the clash. That said, I think it is only a small number of competitors who go to the Snetterton event, so maybe it is just one of those things?

I would think that the SS calendar is so extensive that in trying to find a weekend in the summer which doesn't clash with a SS event AND doesn't clash with the existing Shelsley calendar is difficult. 

I will unfortunately be unable to come to Shelsley as I'll be at Snetterton as it's a round of the British Sprint as well.

It's one of those things, I would have bought a car to Shelsley, not sure which but wouldn't have been going up at 100% more like 90%, shame to miss out but you can't do everything and this date clash happens from time to time.

6 hours ago, terry everall said:

There certainly seems to be plenty of support for attending Shelsley but not many existing SS drivers? Maybe they would be happy to attend but not drive? Personally I will be probably be away in France so not able to attend either event.

I don't think enough details on the format and pricing have yet been published to assess the overall appeal but I saw the day being an opportunity to give people from across the club who may not otherwise have a chance, the opportunity to drive the hill and perhaps even get them interested in the speed series as well as allowing more seasoned drivers to get a bit of practice.  Perhaps even some demo drives and a parade of notable speed series cars past and present?

The evening I understood was a celebration of the speed series and hoping to attract members past present and future.  I think the evening would not be the same if some key members of the speed series couldn't attend.  The awards do was unfortunately diluted this year due to a clash with BHC and was the worse for it IMHO.

• Like 3

Hi Folks

Here is my 2 penneth on this matter (for what it is worth), obviously I cannot comment on the issues for the British Sprint guy's but as far as the Speed Series calendar is concerned I am deeply disappointed that this clash has been allowed to happen!

I have always found when attending their events that the B19 are very helpful, friendly and reasonable. I am very surprised that assuming they were made aware of the clash of dates with such a special one off event that they would require/insist we stay with the Snetterton event. We are also supporting B19 at 2 Hethel events and we were also invited to their Lyddon event again this year which was declined (but that's another story)!

With 30 + events on the 2018 SS Calendar I find it hard to accept that we needed  to include the revised Snetterton date considering this is a landmark year for the SS.

In addition those of us who have had any dealings with the venue owners will know that it will be MSV who decide who get's what and when at their venues around the country in 2019 and not whether the Westfield SS was present at Snetterton in 2018. It will decided upon pure business criteria!

It is also disappointing that a long standing member of the SSOT is not able to support the 21st Anniversary Event in one form or another, but "hey ho" that's life as they say!

I just appeal to all of you who have shown genuine interest in the 21st Anniversary Event to continue to support the event and not let this un-necessary side show deflect us from making the 23rd June a day we can all remember for many years to come!

Many thanks

Graham (Glutey)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, graham frankland said:

I just appeal to all of you who have shown genuine interest in the 21st Anniversary Event to continue to support the event and not let this un-necessary side show deflect us from making the 23rd June a day we can all remember for many years to come!

Many thanks

Graham (Glutey)

I will be there celebrating and supporting and have delayed a driving holiday to Europe by two days because of this. 

I know I have probably spectated at more speed series events  than I have entered but I don't think I am speaking as a lone voice when I say that a huge part of the success of the series is the comradery in the paddock and life long friendships that are formed.  The series has been a huge success also in bringing people into the sport.  If you just look at British Hill Climbing, the 2017 champion started in a westfield (you can read about it in the latest edition of Sprint magazine)  and at least 6 of the top runners have competed in Westfields in the past.

It really is something that the club should be very proud of and hopefully, even with a decline in sales of new cars and barriers for new entrants put up by the MSA, can continue to build on for the future.

The evening event will be amazing if most of the main names from the past and present are there. Lets give a free ticket to every past champion and get them all there !!  Get some amazing cars from the past like the flymo there.. 

I discussed it a bit with Graham at a club event last weekend and see the potential to leverage the event in lots of ways. I really see an opportunity for the days activity to be a huge club social event in it's own right too with camping available as well.  Everyone that comes to Stoneleigh and Blyton says afterwards that they wish the club could have more such events.  Well here is another great opportunity to have a gathering at the oldest and probably most iconic hill climb venue in the country and on what is almost the longest summers day of the year.

Let's get the factory and other sponsors involved. Walk the hill and hold a mini sprint school for those interested to learn about the sport. Set up corner scales and allow people to weigh and test their cars. I am sure someone can talk about car set up etc 

All to often recently posts linked to the speed series seem to focus on negatives about target times or classes or regs or missing events etc.   

Well here I see a great opportunity for all those that care about the series, want to celebrate it's success and see it prosper in the future to make it happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I honestly could not have put this better myself, really. We are reliant, as we always are, on individuals with ideas and passion and a team of dedicated supporters of a cause in putting these things together; Stoneleigh and Blyton amongst them as rightly noted in the above. The entire membership gets to benefit from this, it is right to do so and it is right to make use of all of the willing support and available funds to do these things and more.

Everyone should come along to this, support your club and make the best use of your membership. It will be a great day; something a little different for those who don't compete and a chance for those who do, to impart knowledge wisdom and no doubt enthusiasm in spades.

Once we get into something, we do a bl**** good job. If we attract more members into the competitive side because of this, that would be great and if we simply enjoy a day out, I'd certainly be happy and chalk this up as a success.

Many folks will have other commitments, of course we will, we all do, we all have lives to live and work to do and priority calls to make; there are always choices. For the 21st year of the Speed Series, I'd suggest this should be on the top of your list...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I am eager to put some plans together to be at Shelsley Walsh SS 21st Aniversary.  I would like to offer my services. 

I am a veteran of the Speed Series. 

I have organised Speed series events at a number of venues. I was principal organiser of the Yorkshire Experience. All of these being promoted over 1 Year in advance.   

I am more than a little concerned I can’t find a way of registering an entry.  It’s only 5 Months away.

Who is the principal organiser ?   

C6A2398C-E80D-4B4A-9007-BADE12EB4B65.jpeg

Edited by Old Rocket
Added an image.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Old Rocket

Thanks for your offer of help which is duly excepted

I am on holiday at the moment but will get in touch as as I get back

In the meantime if you need more info please contact John Williams

Thanks

Graham (Glutey)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Graham, 

I thought one of your or Johns posts mentioned end of Jan for full details ,prices and booking.

cheers

Jim

• Andy Banks pinned this topic
  • Kingster unpinned this topic