Carbon parts

Robo

4 hours ago, Robo said:

@ XTR2Turbo how's others done this then ? And who's Julian

@Nick the guy thats proposing to do this used to be in an f1 team so I don't doubt his ability 

no cash will be asked of anyone, this was just gauging interest and to see if an order could be put together but it seems to of upset more than anything else or is this the norm to shoot people down with negative response ?? 

Unfortunately this particular subject has been rather done to death over the years, so sorry we that have been around far to long for our own good have a somewhat cynical view on it. But good luck to the guy, there is a market out there and to be honest in the whole post you've actually got a pretty good response of the ups and downs of it. If he started with say Nose cones then he could prove the quality and whether it did actually work for him as a business. 

Due to fair trade/monopoly laws a company cannot stop others from offering replacement/alternative parts, been cases (I believe Land Rover) on this in the past to set precedent. However, the copied/replacement parts cannot be advertised as manufacturer parts. So as long as you don't use their trademark or pass off your parts as factory parts, you're good to go.

19 minutes ago, gee_fin said:

Due to fair trade/monopoly laws a company cannot stop others from offering replacement/alternative parts, been cases (I believe Land Rover) on this in the past to set precedent. However, the copied/replacement parts cannot be advertised as manufacturer parts. So as long as you don't use their trademark or pass off your parts as factory parts, you're good to go.

Interesting. If thats the case here then I'd say good luck and count me in. If someone offered a full  bodywork in carbon i'd have one at £1500

Rob, keep in touch if this pans out.

Kenton

Just now, kenton said:

If someone offered a full  bodywork in carbon i'd have one at £1500

Rob, keep in touch if this pans out.

Kenton

you cant get a grp one for that! There's a guy in Germany that does full fw carbon bodywork at 5 or 6k I think

Yes. I meant the ZK bodywork. rear and sides that are in one piece and fixed to the chassis. All other bits can be interchanged easily.

33 minutes ago, marcusb said:

you cant get a grp one for that! There's a guy in Germany that does full fw carbon bodywork at 5 or 6k I think

^ This. That’s the problem, many of us are interested, until real world, non hobbyist prices start coming in.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gee_fin said:

I think that is rather misleading, unless the law has changed since I retired.

You can make replacement parts for someone else's vehicle, but you cannot copy their design. So if you make a direct copy by making a mould off a factory body part I think you might be in breach of design right. Carbon Mods front wings (just to take a practical example) were not copied from Westfield factory wings, in fact they were more like the Caterham CSR wings, being aerodynamic so as to produce some slight down force (in theory!).

Oh and the German made stuff Marcus mentioned is absolutely stunning. I’ve a feeling though, even that is just polished, if you needed full protection from the elements, (UV), it might still need clear-coating on top of that.

1 hour ago, stephenh said:

...unless the law has changed since I retired.

You can make replacement parts for someone else's vehicle, but you cannot copy their design. So if you make a direct copy by making a mould off a factory body part I think you might be in breach of design right. Carbon Mods front wings (just to take a practical example) were not copied from Westfield factory wings, in fact they were more like the Caterham CSR wings, being aerodynamic so as to produce some slight down force (in theory!).

That is what Siltech Racing have been doing, making there own design of carbon nose and bonnet that will fit a Westfield chassis.

The issue then is that people want the factory lines.

I do hope there are more carbon parts openly available as carbon mods started to do those years ago. Until then I will take what I can get to feed my addiction.

Carbon Mods also worked with the factory at the time, I seem to remember, which is the other way of doing it.

The German bodywork is also slightly different. (I think their FW nose/bonnet is actually nicer than the original.)

• Like 1

I was going to do a group buy from the guy over in Germany (Christoph) but the exchange rate is shocking at the moment and each V8 bonnet and nose would have worked out about £800 each. 

As someone has mentioned, prepreg is very hard to get perfect, so good luck to the chap looking to make them (I could do with a spare set :p) 

• Like 1

Spoke to @Aerodynamix Ltd at Stoneleigh and he said they were looking at carbon bonnets but were a pig to make. I guess it’s a shed load of time, effort and money if all goes Pete Tong!

This is actually why I started the thread, I've opted in on any carbon chat/thread that's gone on on this site but like you say it sort of disappears and does a death, I'm hopeful of this coming off but like a lot has said , let's see what the works like, I've asked for pictures of any work so waiting on that at the mo and will update as soon as I get anything, he's been talking about doing them in resin infusion method to keep the cost down? I'm guessing I'm going to get a barrage of abuse for this method ?? 

• Haha 1

I guess if he is doing R8 blades then he must be selling decent stuff. I'd love some more carbon to keep the addiction going, but instead I'll just go to Toms and dream at his car instead..............

• Haha 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.