Carbon parts

Robo

Gauging interest, there is a possibility that a guy will be making a batch of carbon v8 bonnets and nosecones as well as other parts, the bonnet and cone is the main reason for this post, if this goes ahead would anyone be interested in any/all ? Pricing looks around £700 (ish) for the bonnet and £500 (ish) on the nose these could go down if there's enough interest (group buy) 

Robo, we have been here so many times over the years that is actually best to ask them to show they can do some decent quality parts first. Lots claims they can, few seem to be able to. If they can and at reasonable prices then the customers will be there. Just ask yourself why there are very few doing it at the moment ??

• Like 1

Was gonna say nose cone - but as above what parts have they made before? 

I can see your point, it's early stages for the company, I'm trying to get something made up so everyone can see quality and get a more definite price schedule 

To be honest that's even more concerning, moulding carbon is not easy, yet many seem to think it is. Many companies have come and gone over time in that game. Good luck to them, but slow steps and prove they can do what they say works best for everyone.

You might also want to anticipate lawyers letters from Julian if a mould taken directly off a factory part 

@ XTR2Turbo how's others done this then ? And who's Julian

@Nick the guy thats proposing to do this used to be in an f1 team so I don't doubt his ability 

no cash will be asked of anyone, this was just gauging interest and to see if an order could be put together but it seems to of upset more than anything else or is this the norm to shoot people down with negative response ?? 

Does seem an odd response. Best of luck to your contact in his new business venture. 

2 hours ago, Robo said:

@Nick the guy thats proposing to do this used to be in an f1 team so I don't doubt his ability 

no cash will be asked of anyone, this was just gauging interest and to see if an order could be put together but it seems to of upset more than anything else or is this the norm to shoot people down with negative response ?? 

Julian Turner - MD of Westfield Sports Cars

Others? not sure there are any still producing commercially hence why the above was possibly a concern or maybe a DIY basis

Good luck. I would be interested to see the finished samples

3 hours ago, Robo said:

Chris Smith (the original owner and founder of Westfield) seemed to be much more relaxed about this sort of thing when Carbon mods and others were offering.  Probably not surprising given the Westfield origin.

By all accounts the current owners are much more protective of their IP.

I wish your friend well but just wanted to flag one of the risks he faces. 

David

rob

They would need to be in pre-preg to get it lightweight and I think the problem with making this type of westfield parts is getting  a excellent finish for the price people want to pay  if there is slight imperfection would people still be willing to pay £700 for a bonnet as the maker would have a lot of time and effort and materials invested in the part I think not 

And there is a massive difference between people saying yeah I will have one and actually parting with any cash 

• Like 1

My understanding is that Westfield Sportscars has threatened litigation in respect of directly copied bodywork in the past, and has got as far as court on at least one occasion.

At least once every couple of years, someone with great credentials pops up anouncing directly or indirectly that they’re going to produce carbon this and carbon that at fantastic prices and of impeccable quality. None of them ever did. I gues it’s made us cynical.

A few have made carbon noses and bonnets in the past at “low” costs. Most of them have t kept it up for long.

There are high quality carbon body panels available, including noses/bonnets - suitable altered to protect WSC Ltd’s IP but they aren’t cheap, look absolutely stunning though!

Club members are only wary, because they’ve been there sooo many times before.

1 minute ago, Rednop1 said:

And there is a massive difference between people saying yeah I will have one and actually parting with any cash 

Absolutely. There is most deffinately a ceiling on what the average Westfield owner will really pay for any given part. And while there are those that will pay a premium price for a true premium product, they’re comparatively few and far between. And in this country at least, tricky to build a business on!

28 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

My understanding is that Westfield Sportscars has threatened litigation in respect of directly copied bodywork in the past, and has got as far as court on at least one occasion.

That is interesting.

I can't see the point of westfield taking any benefit doing that, for a few reasons:

1:) Westfield does not offer carbon parts on a regular basis.

2:) Who want a carbon part, already have some sort of fiberglass bodywork, so, can't be considered as competence and only have a negative impact to the westfield user.

The approach of the former owner seemed much more sensible. :(

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.