Air to Air Heat Pumps

Dommo

... which I think is a posh term for an air con unit that heats and cools... anyway...

Has anyone got any experience of them? We're having an extension built and it seems like a candidate for heating the room (it'll be 36sqm) but I can only go from what I read on the manufacturer website, so I don't know if it really is or not.

The alternative is using an air source heat pump and heating water for underfloor unit (maybe rest of the house too if changing radiators). Substantially higher setup costs though you get some back from government incentives. Still pretty expensive though.

We built an extension and I fitted a heat pump. Most units now are heat pumps than cooling only. Dont buy cheap stuff like LG, its a false economy. All of my colleagues have Toshiba , just like I have. Oh and I work in air con. 

Reason why I fitted it rather than run a radiator in there was because the boiler would struggle, pipework would be hard work , I got it cheaper than doing the rad install and its a room we double celetex insulated , much to the inspectors surprise , so it isnt used that much. It is the room the dogs sleep in , so when it does get hot, we can stick the air con on, when we are at work, which they love . Dont ask the size of the room, as its triangular ! but I fitted a 3.5kw unit which does work well and can actually cool the lounge next door easily. It runs on a 5 amp fuse and get an inverter compressor unit , as it will save money with power useage. Units from diy chains are usually chinese cheapies, which have no spares or technical support , so potentially cost more with replacing more frequently.

Its a great bit of kit, so make sure you look at Toshiba, Daikin or Mitsubishi Electric . Mitsi Heavy Ind is usually cheaper and a different company , but spares are awkward. Samsung is new to the market, but finish and quality isnt as good as the ones above. LG are cheap , will work, but not as long as better ones.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, not sure how I missed this! Any clue what the ball park is on that kind of unit fitted? The local guys are remarkably adept and not replying when asking for estimates based on plans sent... presumably there's more money in the commercial stuff.