Toothache!

Kevin (Mr T)

As this is such a wonderful resource for information, here's my question.

I have been in agony for 48 hours resulting, as it turns out, from an abscess on "upper left 7".

No amount of paracetamol, celecoxib or codeine is easing the excruciating pain that has caused me to watch all night TV for the last two nights.

Any recommendations, however alternative, that I can try until the antibiotics do their thing?

An abscess is horrible - I had one a few years ago and ended up having root canal work done followed by the tooth being capped. 

Afraid I can’t offer any better advice other than the usual painkillers however some humour may help and that you should have posted at two thirty. 

Hope it eases soon. 

And ask for an immediate referral to Richard Hems at CDRC. I messed about too long with my regular dentist and have ended up with the orthodontist anyway. I'll try to go straight there next time.

Having had several of these over the years the only thing that works is what you are doing but if you have got the Antibiotics it will only start to ease when the swelling in the abscess goes down. Usually 24 hours after taking the first ones for me.

I would suspect you will need a root filling at least. I had to have one in my lower front removed by cutting the gum and then the abscess removed and the tooth root filled from the bottom of the gum.

It might be worth getting a sleeping tablet from the GP if you have had no sleep for 24 hours. Hope it gets better soon

Nurofen with Codeine. Nurofen (Ibuprofen) is an anti-inflammatory and Codeine is a painkiller. You could try swilling alcohol (Brandy/Whiskey etc) over the tooth for a couple of minutes as well. 

As the others have said, it's the swelling that hurts. Once that goes down the pain will go. The next worst pain is paying for the dental work...

Response from Mrs TJ ( dental nurse) you have an infection in the root , need an xray of the area , sometimes it can be drained to help. Need to take antibiotics. Choices are root canal or extraction. The abscess must be stopped before it infects other teeth around it. So, antibiotics all the time until you run out, as it can lay dormant and come back if not killed off.

Sorry , I/ she  has no immediate cure .