Is the world now too PC ?

Thrustyjust

I’d frame that letter and send back a letter of thanks, saying the ban not only saved you from an early grave but also enabled you to warn everyone you knew not to go to Gregg’s.  I would also ask what disciplinary action was taken against the female workers who got their jollies pointing at men’s genitals and laughing, which sets a great example.

I think there’s more to the Teacher/gender story than is being reported in that article. I think he’s a Christian fundamentalist type who sees the whole thing from a God made people viewpoint and thus actually insisted on ignoring the trans/boy/girl/whatever request on more than just this “passing comment” scenario. 

Having said that PC is just a load of bollarks (if you have them anyway)

The rights and wrongs of labelling people is always such fun to discuss...:rolleyes:

One I’ve had: Someone called me a Yank, which was acceptable in my eyes because of the way it was said, in a friendly, joshing fashion.  When it’s said with venom, it’s not acceptable at all.  When a bit of Cockney rhyming slang is employed, I’ve been referred to as a septic (septic tank = Yank).  It might surprise you that I don’t much like being compared to a tank full of effluence.

Another person once asked if I liked being called a Yank.  I asked him if he liked being called a Limey (a term I’ve NEVER used).  He said no, so I asked him why if he didn’t like being called a Limey, why would I like being called a Yank?

Bit of a minefield, eh? :)

• Like 1

Oh I agree wholeheartedly that calling someone something offensive or derogatory is not on. But the whole PC thing of re-labelling is mad. I mean chairwoman to chairperson or actress to actor type of thing and having to worry about the gender ‘name’ of a person who may or may not ‘look’ like the gender the wish to be assigned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly that calling someone something offensive or derogatory is not on. But the whole PC thing of re-labelling is mad. I mean chairwoman to chairperson or actress to actor type of thing and having to worry about the gender ‘name’ of a person who may or may not ‘look’ like the gender the wish to be assigned. 

Sometimes gender changes. But from male to female and vice versa, as that is who they wish to be, but to be labelled 'neutral' to me seems a bit odd. A friend used to cycle with some guys from Herne Hill, South London. Said that one day, this chap (ess) who was in his later years, decided that he was a Stan and now wanted to be known as Sian :oops:. In his pink lycra and all. Was a bit of a shocker for the hairy assed bikers, but something they accepted and moved on with. That was 20 years ago. But we are now going to the next stage , which just makes me wonder, where it will all end ?

I called a Site Manager an idiot after he Infilled some beams with plasterboard when the drawings clearly showed masonry as it was structural (Thrustyjust...it was not Kevin but a colleague)

Anyway he put in an official complaint and I got hauled in and it’s on my work record.

3 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

I called a Site Manager an idiot after he Infilled some beams with plasterboard when the drawings clearly showed masonry as it was structural (Thrustyjust...it was not Kevin but a colleague)

Anyway he put in an official complaint and I got hauled in and it’s on my work record.

• Really, I'd have packed my tools and told them to stuff itheir job where the sun don't shine :oops:

28 minutes ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:
  • Really, I'd have packed my tools and told them to stuff itheir job where the sun don't shine :oops:

To be honest, they are a nice company to work for and nice people.

I am usually left to it and get no grief.

My job is partly spanner monkey and partly office based/customer facing. One of my colleagues has a rather colourful vocabulary and a very straight forward viewpoint on things and doesn't really understand "politically correct". He uses the c-bomb as a term of endearment. Anyway after a company merger few years ago he was reported by an office worker as she heard him drop the C-bomb and ended up with a bollocking.

However since that day she has apologised and now everyone in the  office greets him with the c-bomb and laugh off his rather antiquated straight forward viewpoints. Hes now become a bit of a cult figure. He's not even slightly malicious just been born in the wrong era. 

The problem is nowadays you can't even fart without someone being offended. People need to re-develop a thick skin and stop being so damn soft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

80949F0A-1810-46FB-9E3A-A9283E4935F5.jpeg.4b58f0124c9417c35995be8e700c59c9.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

I think they should be proud of the pilots artistic skill:d

I love the way the RAF got a rollicking for 'drawing a 35 mile long member' :laugh:

9 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Jees, another one today. Some people need to lighten up a bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42032629

Ironically it was done in a plane called the 'Growler' :d

That is brilliant. 

I wont ask what you where searching for to find that one. :o