What kit to go for?

Westi

Hi!

New member from Sweden here and i recently found this great site. Im very keen on building my own Westfield and has set it as a goal in life :)

Don't really know what type to go for as a stumble between a Meg S2000 as a former hondafreak or go with bike motor. Will mainly use it on road but of course track it a few times a year. 

Any hint or tips on how to think when choosing object?  Very new to car work so nervous on if/how to fix building one but as i said its a dream and a way to prove to myself that im not that bad in handy work as i always thought!

Sorry for long post :o

Edited by Westi
  • Like 2

Mega S2000 would be my choice, amazing on the road, I can hear Gadgetman’s exhaust over mine when the vtec kicks in. 

Bike engines awesome on track. 

Just my preference. Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

:ww: Best of luck with whatever you choose. I'm delighted with my 250, which I built as my first kit car. It's a great feeling to stand back and say to yourself "I built that".

This forum is a superb resource as well, lots of experience you can call on, and friendly to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After having 5 bike engine cars I was keen to try something different  but didn't want to lose the revs and gear change so I went for a S2000 with sequential gearbox as a compromise..

The little chance I had to drive it, it seemed like a good choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your thoughts! Seems like the S2000 is the way to go :)

Is there any possibility to say if there is any pricedifferens between bike and Honda engine in buildingcosts generally?

And yes it seems to be a very pleasant forum i must say with great knowledge.

The Honda S2000 engines seem to be fairly expensive and the “Mega s2000” chassis is also more expensive than the “modular” one. But they do command a premium once finished, so if you can afford it, then it’s a great “naturally aspirated” choice.

I think a bike engine build might be slightly less but that will all depend on what you put into it. Again the “Mega” chassis used for bike engined cars is an extra cost, so really it’s down to preference and how good you are at bargain hunting during the build if you are budget conscious!

The most cost effective way to the kind of power and thrill you’d get from either of the above would probably be a Mazda SDV with a turbo added. 

• Like 3

I think the Ecoboost Sport250 is worth a look nowadays,certainly easier to get a good/low mileage engine compared to both the S2000 or a Busa!

• Like 1

If your a honda fan and can get an engine then go for the mega s2000.

The mega s2000/sport 250 chassis is a newer chassis with some improvements. If I were building again I'd go for the mega s2000 chassis but use a ford duratec engine on throttle bodies mated to a mk3 mx5 box. A nice tractable 200 ish bhp with a sweet gearbox. Oh and full FW bodywork.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and great to hear from another future builder. What are the regulations regarding kit car and registration in Sweden? Seeing how mad you swedes are with cars , I would have thought some kind of Volvo turbo engine ( 4 cyl) would be a potential benefit. The S2000/ ST250 chassis would give plenty of space to install. Dont know how common or expensive the Honda engines are in Sweden and what type they are ?

12 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Welcome to the forum and great to hear from another future builder. What are the regulations regarding kit car and registration in Sweden? Seeing how mad you swedes are with cars , I would have thought some kind of Volvo turbo engine ( 4 cyl) would be a potential benefit. The S2000/ ST250 chassis would give plenty of space to install. Dont know how common or expensive the Honda engines are in Sweden and what type they are ?

Thank you!

Don't really know much about regulations and registrations, must check that up! Regarding a Volvo engine that might be a good idea, thay are quite cheap over here :) Honda is quite popular as a track days cars so not impossible to get a F engine i bealive but will look this up also i know K engines are quite usual here but guess they don't fit that good :) 

14 hours ago, CosKev said:

I think the Ecoboost Sport250 is worth a look nowadays,certainly easier to get a good/low mileage engine compared to both the S2000 or a Busa!

If I was going to build a new one I would also go for the Ecoboost

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment said:

If I was going to build a new one I would also go for the Ecoboost

Maybe i got i wrong but isn't the Sport 250 Ecoboost quite much pricier than a Mega/S200? at least when looking at the webpage. But might just be me who doesn't understand properly :)

4 hours ago, Westi said:

Maybe i got i wrong but isn't the Sport 250 Ecoboost quite much pricier than a Mega/S200? at least when looking at the webpage. But might just be me who doesn't understand properly :)

Steve was suggesting a used Ecoboost engine is cheaper than a used Honda Engine. The factory price is for a new Ecoboost engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Steve was suggesting a used Ecoboost engine is cheaper than a used Honda Engine. The factory price is for a new Ecoboost engine.

Ahh yes i understand, thats i different subject :)

Leaning more and more against Duratec och Ecoboost, found out that registration regulations don't really allow the power in the Honda, in that case i have to increase the weight to about 1000 kg more or less which feels a bit lousy!

Maybe a Mazda SDV could be an alternativ too.

Duratec and then a supercharger after registration then :t-up:

I think your regulations are going to be something that is going to be more the driving force to building a car in Sweden. 

• Like 1