My new Schroth Harnesses.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Morning Dave,

I will let you know how I get on with them,

Can you not buy one from the UK.

• Like 1

If your seats have holes for mounting 5 or 6 point harnesses I would highly recommend it :)

I've gone to 5 points from 4 points and you feel so much safer and they hold you in the seat much better.

Also if you take your younger family members out in the car they are much safer for them,as lots of 4 point harnesses once tightened sit way too high on younger/smaller people so if you have a accident there is a good chance they will 'submarine' out of the harness and end up in the footwell.

Ordered the same ones from GSM, the harnesses are great - apparently most are shipped direct from Scroth - found GSM a bit hit and miss with communications / updates 

DSC02071.jpg

11 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

...with my JK seats they act like pull ups by threading the end through the harness slots. 

:yes::yes: This is how I use them.

Oops, I hate to say this, but you appear to have two drivers side harnesses there Andy. They are handed for driver and passenger for safeties sake due to the anti submarining feature, the yellow labels should both be in the centre of the car. (On the shoulder straps).

16 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Oops, I hate to say this, but you appear to have two drivers side harnesses there Andy. They are handed for driver and passenger for safeties sake due to the anti submarining feature, the yellow labels should both be in the centre of the car. (On the shoulder straps).

Did not know that - 30 sec job to swap the straps over thankfully

They make a left and a right version of the seats, the steel tongues that clip into the central quick release buckle are also handed, (they’re marked with red and green stickers) so you can’t just swap shoulder straps, you need to make sure the tongue bits are on the correct side too. I’ve not looked at mine, but you might be able to unthread the upper strap section - though the pull down bar would get in the way, I guess.

Check what you have at the moment!

andys look handed if you look closly on the picture he has the left and the right crossed you can just see the little green and red stickers

Yes, but the safety critical part is the tops of the shoulder harnesses, the strap with the yellow warning label on goes to the middle of the car for each pair of belts. In the photo above, both yellow straps seem to be on the left of the seat, (viewed from behind the car looking forward.)

Hopefully this is just a case of unclipping it and swapping it over. However, the ends of the belt that click into the main buckle are asymmetrical, hence the red green labels to quickly identify the right and left shoulder strap.

When purchasing the harnesses, you actually buy a left set and a right set because of this.

The yellow marked section is the anti submarining feature. Its a longer loop of harness stitched back on itself in a way designed to fail in a certain way, in a significant impact. (A bit like in fall arrest systems). This allows a certain amount of controlled forward movement on one side of the body, reducing the chance of you sliding down and under the lap belt.

However, if you, for example, had both labels to the outside of the car, there is a chance, in a big enough impact, that both driver and passenger could hit each other as they are swung inwards slightly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bunje said:

my harnesses from were shipped direct from schroth. i wouldnt of thought it would be a problem for gsm to ship them to you dave

Yes Geoffrey and Bunje - it seems I can order the harness from GSM. I have sent them a note asking about shipping the belts to the USA and I'm waiting to hear back. My guess is that GSM is like so many other businesses in that they probably don't have a warehouse full of harnesses to sell but instead they take an order, forward that order on to Schroth, Schroth ships directly to the customer and the seller gets a commission. It seems that it no matter where you order the harnesses from they ship from Schroth of Germany.

dave

Yes mine were shipped from schroth direct but I have heard that others have received straight from gsm.

GSM were great to deal with. Gave an honest lead time and they arrived early. Certain other companies could learn a thing or 2. They were substantially cheaper than other suppliers too.

2 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

GSM were great to deal with. Gave an honest lead time and they arrived early. Certain other companies could learn a thing or 2. They were substantially cheaper than other suppliers too.

I had the same service and I received regular emails.

Mine where shipped from Schroth direct to GSM and then they where delivered to me.

Good to hear that GSM does a professional job - now I hope that I hear back from them.

I never know how long to wait before trying again or moving on. I'm in biz for myself and it's rare that I take more than a few hours to respond and all emails get a response by the next biz day no matter when they come in. I wrote GSM asking about shipping to the USA about 24 hrs ago and I've not heard back at this point. I'd like to think I'll hear back but the chances of doing so seem to go way down after the first day passes. We'll see.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

dave

Dave,

If it helps, and you get stuck, I could buy one and post it. You could PayPal me the money.