Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John K

An old man notices a change in download speeds

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Back doors into routers, I don't think so,

Plenty out there about this. Can't believe you have all this paranoia and missed this.

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

the reason I abandoned my BT hub was because there is a port left open to allow remote alterations and updating to the firmware, which could in turn lead to a network intrusion. Quite frankly anyone trying to maintain anonymity would be foolish to keep their standard ISP router. A long those lines, it would be wise for anyone using IP cameras, to isolate and firewall block those cameras from outwardly accessing the internet.

Security is layered. Open ports are an issue for sure but this has been so since the 1990's or before and is well understood. Systems behind open ports should be protected with a strong password.

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Is all this affecting us? yes it is, it's often very subtle, websites that won't load (until you fire up a VPN) but do not show any message to say they're blocked. Most people just assume the site is broken.

Got any I can test? I'm quite handy with this sort of thing

DNS hijacking isn't usually a term applied to ISP's and how they forward DNS requests but again if you can point to some evidence I'd like to learn more

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Who controls the filters? it's not the ISPs, it's not the govt, it's some unknown corporate entity and who's to say they don't take backhanders?

Where does this come from and ow do you know about it if it's supposed to be "secret"?

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

European news websites, some are blocked inside the UK, they don't even appear in Google search results.

Again, got any I can try?

3 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

I remember a few years ago a Fire service strike, the UK media was just making them look bad, the European media was saying it was about pay and poor quality/broken equipment. There are other events that have been subjected to a virtual media blackout, "veterans against terrorism" marches, most people don't even know they happened and the media has barely reported on it because a) there was no violence and b) they can't very well accuse a bunch of 90 year olds of being racist.

Yet again, care to share the links? I'd be interested in learning more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Blatman said:

The Security Services victories go unpublished because they must remain secret, a policy that goes back to Enigma and likely beyond. I don't think the government revealed it had broken Enigma until the 1970's (or maybe 2001, I'm not sure) so that those charged with our safety can deliver it to the best of their ability.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27128685   In 1941, Mr Welchman and four other men known as The Wicked Uncles - including Alan Turing - personally delivered an influential letter to Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill asking for more resources for Bletchley Park.

Mr Welchman then became the head of Hut Six, which was responsible for breaking German Army and Air Force Enigma ciphers, and was the first to detail the work of the codebreakers in his 1982 book.

After WW2 the UK and USA agreed that the decryption techniques would remain secret; however Gordon Welchman broke ranks in 1982 with his book and was to face FBI prosecution (living in the US) but died of cancer before any prosecution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blatman said:

Plenty out there about this. Can't believe you have all this paranoia and missed this.

 

It exists, but it's not about accessing your data, the concern is having routers turned into bots. ISP routers are easy pickings for this, but frankly "i'm alright jack", I haven't used an ISP router for over 15 years and I now use an Asus router with modified firmware.

As for the rest, you want me to prove what i'm saying when the proof has largely been covered up and censored off. I could ask for proof that it's untrue, but you won't find that either and I don't care whether anyone believe what I say, it's meant to be something to think about.

My own family didn't believe me about the recent bombings in Sweden, I told them to Google (and they did) it before it got filtered out of search results and right now there is considerably less information coming up on Google than there was 2 weeks ago, back then there we're at least 5 links to genuine European news/media websites.

The fact is the internet is being censored, we're told is was all about protecting children and preventing piracy, but it's starting to be abused for political gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lyonspride said:

My own family didn't believe me about the recent bombings in Sweden, I told them to Google (and they did) it before it got filtered out of search results and right now there is considerably less information coming up on Google than there was 2 weeks ago, back then there we're at least 5 links to genuine European news/media websites.

The fact is the internet is being censored, we're told is was all about protecting children and preventing piracy, but it's starting to be abused for political gain.

My Google browser did some update about 5 months back (and has been updated regularly subsequently) and since then I seem to have a greatly reduced variety of search results, especially historical results. A questionnaire popped up to ask if I was impressed with the new browser function (which I am not) but I ignored the questionnaire.

Currently using Chrome as I thought it would be most secure so my question is should I change the browser and what to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

My Google browser did some update about 5 months back (and has been updated regularly subsequently) and since then I seem to have a greatly reduced variety of search results, especially historical results. A questionnaire popped up to ask if I was impressed with the new browser function (which I am not) but I ignored the questionnaire.

Currently using Chrome as I thought it would be most secure so my question is should I change the browser and what to?

 

Your browser doesn't affect your results, your browsing habits do, as well as if you've been looking for certain items, Google may put up results based on what it thinks you want based on that (somewhat like targeted advertising), I get different results on my PC to my laptop and again to my phone using the same browsers. It's a nightmare this time of year because you go searching for presents for family and for the next 6 months you'll be getting skewed search results from Google.
It's a bit like when people on forums post links to badly modified cars for sale on eBay (usually via PH), I try to avoid following the links because eBay will suddenly start showing me ads for similar vehicles (and sending me emails everytime a new bazzed up 3 series with a giant whale tail, goes up for sale).

In all likelihood, if your results changed, it's probably something to do with cookies expiring or getting wiped out.

As for browser, I use Firefox but I won't recommend it yet because they've just done a major update "Quantum", it's got some bugs, it's broken a lot of addons and i've only been using it a few days..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google have changed their search results policy recently.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/25/15418490/google-search-snippets-changes-fake-news-offensive-results

Some will see that as sinister. I don't.

What firmware is on the ASUS? Tomato? DD-WRT? Gargoyle? I would argue that these aren't the last word in secure firmware types for a home router. They might be better than the ISP supplied crap but you won't find a home router on custom firmware installed anywhere that matters.

Do I care if my ISP router is being used as a bot? No. Not my problem. It's up to them to secure and monitor their equipment. A quick look at the traffic stats will tell me if things are happening when I am not home (all my gear is powered off when I am out) and I'm pretty sure there's nothing going out that shouldn't be. That said, ever Wiresharked what's coming out of your TV? DVD Player? Apple TV? Chromecast? You may be surprised at who is tracking what!

2 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Your browser doesn't affect your results, your browsing habits do, as well as if you've been looking for certain items, Google may put up results based on what it thinks you want based on that (somewhat like targeted advertising), I get different results on my PC to my laptop and again to my phone using the same browsers. It's a nightmare this time of year because you go searching for presents for family and for the next 6 months you'll be getting skewed search results from Google.
It's a bit like when people on forums post links to badly modified cars for sale on eBay (usually via PH), I try to avoid following the links because eBay will suddenly start showing me ads for similar vehicles (and sending me emails everytime a new bazzed up 3 series with a giant whale tail, goes up for sale).

In all likelihood, if your results changed, it's probably something to do with cookies expiring or getting wiped out.

Everything to do with cookies. Set your browser to delete your browsing history on exit. That should get most of them out. You could use Private Browsing or use a TOR browser and a search engine that doesn't track you. There are loads out there.

I actually like the fact that Google Chrome hooks in to my phone and PC. It means I can find anything I was looking at on my PC on my phone and vice versa. Perfect for when I'm shopping and don't have my laptop with me.

And the new Firefox update works just fine for me. I like the new look and it's definitely faster to load from clicking to shortcut and seems to be faster at switching between pages too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×