An old man notices a change in download speeds

John K

17 hours ago, John K said:

If you ain't got nothing to hide, you ain't got nothing to fear... :t-up:

Unfortunately this is the statement that'll sleep walk us into dystopia.

The more of your freedom your give, the more they will try to take.

People think they've got nothing to hide, but everything is open to misinterpretation. Many a time i've thought I had nothing to hide, but quickly had something perfectly innocent painted out to be something bad, with no way to defend myself.

1 hour ago, Lyonspride said:

Unfortunately this is the statement that'll sleep walk us into dystopia.

The more of your freedom your give, the more they will try to take.

What exactly is "freedom"? It's thrown about a lot but really what do you, we anybody mean by it..? What do you like to do with your freedom?

This is a very emotive subject that means different things to different folks so I'm expecting the following to kick off a bit but here we go... And its an extreme example but that is what the internet is for.

I would be very happy to be fitted with an RFID chip which the government could scan any time they liked (like the ones in the back of your dogs neck)

It would be totally voluntary but I would see it as being a commitment to society. The government could scan this chip everytime I got into a car, rented a car, used a cashpoint, shopped at Tesco, entered a bank or public transport.

What if you didn't have a chip - no problem at all... But you cannot use anything that society takes for granted and instead you are barred from hospitals, airports, petrol stations, Tesco, phoneshops, public transport etc...

I have no problem with folk wanting to live "off the grid" but why should they have the same privileges as folk who want to be part of society..? And in some ways it would be a bit more honest and open. We are already scanned, mapped and profiled to an inch of our lives but most folk pretend its not happening. It already is...

And whilst I am sort of playing devils advocate - I do sort of believe it a bit as well...

38 minutes ago, John K said:

I would be very happy to be fitted with an RFID chip which the government could scan any time they liked (like the ones in the back of your dogs neck)

Try Googling 'tracker chip can be swallowed' to read up on those already available.

Could these be prescribed medically without you knowing?

On 11/27/2017 at 19:52, John K said:

And it might be a bit of an unpopular view - but no worries for me if the government want to snoop on my browsing or email.

I completely agree. My point earlier was that they don't WANT to snoop on your email or browsing any more than they WANT to snoop on mine. What they have is the capability to snoop on those who come to their attention, brought about by what those "interesting" people put in their emails, post on social media and the websites they browse. Just this week an individual was sentenced for plotting an attack. Part of the reason he was caught was BECAUSE he had come to the attention of the security services. This capability is a small price to pay for this sort of positive impact. I say thanks to the Security Services for a job well done :t-up: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-42143160

7 hours ago, Blatman said:

brought about by what those "interesting" people put in their emails, post on social media and the websites they browse.

Erm...

That probably means GCHQ has an entire folder dedicated to posts on the WSCC :o

16 hours ago, John K said:

Erm...

That probably means GCHQ has an entire folder dedicated to posts on the WSCC :o

"A" folder? My posting history alone should warrant a decent sized volume all on it's own :oops::getmecoat::blush: