Starting a Build

Mark Selby

I think you need to put some steering rack extenders on. This gives you a bit more track and will get the wheels pointing in the right direction! You will possibly have to shorten the steering rack track rods but this is covered in the FW manual which you should be able to download. All the suspension of the FW should be the same as the sport 250. John

• Like 1

Nice work.

While you're at this early and open stage try and slave fit the pedals and the electric throttle pedal. In the standard mount holes I found the throttle pedal too close to the brake pedal. It's so much easier to adjust of necessary and reprotect any holes whilst at the early build stage.

3 hours ago, Mark Selby said:

Anyone got any tips for keeping teenagers involved? 

Beer?

As Kernow said, you should have some steering rack extenders to go onto the ends of the rack. Now's the time to fit IVA boot on steering rack, and IVA cover on top ball joint to wishbone lock nut.

image.thumb.jpeg.40e4caf374bd95ef7d1dcef6ce7ed5e8.jpeg

As Sdh2903 said, trial fit the pedals, the throttle is close to the brake, following his tip I moved mine over. After driving mine for a while I might see if I can move it outboard even further.

A draft manual, blimey things are  picking up, next thing you'll be telling us you've got all your  bits!

A polite suggestion. You might find it better to put updates on your build thread, rather than here on the Start Line. May get more input!

Had to chat to Westfield this week. Seems my manual won't be ready till around Christmas time. I'm trying to pick off jobs I can have a go at and won't be too upset when I have to un wind them and do them again. I thought getting the pedals in should be pretty easy. After running through four boxes and a bunch of bags of bolts, I couldn't find the right ones. turns out they were never packed! 

Fortunately, Ian at Westfield spotted this pretty quickly, when asked, and sent them out overnight. So... my first job for the weekend will be to get the fly-by-wire accelerator pedal in. loving doing the jobs that make it actually look a little more like a car and a little less like a kids climbing frame on its side.... ;-)

• Like 2

On 19/11/2017 at 21:12, AdgeC said:

Beer?

As Kernow said, you should have some steering rack extenders to go onto the ends of the rack. Now's the time to fit IVA boot on steering rack, and IVA cover on top ball joint to wishbone lock nut.

As Sdh2903 said, trial fit the pedals, the throttle is close to the brake, following his tip I moved mine over. After driving mine for a while I might see if I can move it outboard even further.

A draft manual, blimey things are  picking up, next thing you'll be telling us you've got all your  bits!

A polite suggestion. You might find it better to put updates on your build thread, rather than here on the Start Line. May get more input!

Thanks!  I started on the Build section and a moderator moved me here. Frankly clueless about this and the build! 

That's also hugely helpful in terms of the rack. I'll keep looking through the boxes and see if there's anything that might be a rack extender. 

Yes, the manual thing is frustrating.  I'm not sure how you can sell a kit car without a manual and expect a non-mechanic to be able to get on with it. Still, I'l keep muddling on and posting! 

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the tips and the photo! 

On 19/11/2017 at 19:03, sdh2903 said:

Nice work.

While you're at this early and open stage try and slave fit the pedals and the electric throttle pedal. In the standard mount holes I found the throttle pedal too close to the brake pedal. It's so much easier to adjust of necessary and reprotect any holes whilst at the early build stage.

Thank you. I've got the brake cylinder fitted but haven't yet found the fittings for the clutch.... 

On 19/11/2017 at 21:12, AdgeC said:

Beer?

And....if only I knew what you meant by IVA boot and cover, the panic might subside slightly....:-)

1 hour ago, Mark Selby said:

And....if only I knew what you meant by IVA boot and cover, the panic might subside slightly....:-)

Sorry Dione panic, You'll hopefully find a bag of IVA covers with some contents like this

image.thumb.jpeg.5f5a30d8b0d255d717457a3121d64840.jpeg

A lot are nut covers (self explanatory).  You'll also find four tubular long tapered plastic sleeves (about 4" long x 3/4" open end dia) with blanked end. If you cut the blank end off, will slide over the threaded ends of the steering rack, before screwing on any locknuts and extenders. This is mine slide along and over the locknuts and extenders to satisfy IVA.

image.thumb.jpeg.ad16ba2d4120ebc2c6fb7eb5a321d324.jpeg

The nut cover, I bored out the domed end so that it was a snug fit over the top ball joint luck nut (which locks the threaded end of the top ball joint onto the top wishbone sleeve) You can fit it later you splitting the cover, but my preference was to fit it during assembly. Again this is mine

image.thumb.jpeg.4cbf8728e37d4d3851e951ac44e773fa.jpeg

Hope this helps allay your anxiety. Don't want anything to spoil your enjoyment :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, Mark Selby said:

Thanks!  I started on the Build section and a moderator moved me here. Frankly clueless about this and the build! 

You'll find your confidence will build as you progress. Just keep asking if you're not sure, most builders have been where you are at some stage, I know I certainly was!