New owner counting down

JAD86

Hi folks,

I've decided to enter the Westfield arena after agreeing to purchase a friends car, after he upgraded (started looking for an engine and bought a car!).

I am completely new to these cars - my only two experiences of similar cars was a track down a decade ago and a Highland Caterham Hire 24 hours excursion in 2010. I have a tendency to jump into these things...

I have a couple of initial questions - the first of which is storage. This car will be outside 100% of the year - I have room to spanner it but not to cover it. I've spoken to Hamilton Classic this morning for their advice and they've suggested just the full cover they offer would be fine - any input from this forum?

Thanks all,

James

Thanks Gary, welcome James.

I’ve had lots of the different covers on the market, from relatively cheap under £100 types, through to some horrendously expensive German ones.

(My Westfields have always lived outside over the years I’ve owned each one).

By far the best have been the Moltex multi layer covers from Hamilton Classic. They fit pretty well, have two straps to go under the car, plus elasticated hems at the nose and tail.

Most importantly, they’ve kept their water resistance and breath ability the best. (The dearest one I ever had, from a German company, was letting small pools of water build up on the car within weeks.)

I have found that most seem to go eventually, either starting to pass unacceptable amounts of water, or starting to go brittle and rip. Again, the Hamilton Classics covers have been the longest lasting of all of them.

But mine have survived vicious UV in hot summers, torrential rain that has caused floods locally, snow, ice and fifty/sixty mph winds - though with such strong winds, I do add extra straps around the car to stop the wind getting underneath the cover and lifting it.

I have a Hamilton too and jolly good it is (was)! It was just over £100 ten years ago and is now a bit tatty here and there but still would do the job. (We have since moved and the Westy has a garage. When its stored outside I used to give the suspension a spray over with some stuff finishing 85. You can get it from motorbike shops. Its brilliant!

:ww:

I use Hamilton classics, I think as a fully paid up member you'd be entitled to a discount too. I've used ACF50 sprayed on the metal bits over winter to keep off the worst. 

Just a thought ,if you've got room for a car plus cover you've got room for a timber building come shed .

No planning permission required and the properties of a timber garage are much more beneficial than their brick built counterparts when it comes to storage ,

moisture absorption and insulation .

20 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Just a thought ,if you've got room for a car plus cover you've got room for a timber building come shed .

No planning permission required and the properties of a timber garage are much more beneficial than their brick built counterparts when it comes to storage ,

moisture absorption and insulation .

Being made from timber wouldn't make a garage exempt from planning permission.  Exemption comes from it being built of a size, height and placed in a position relative to the house such that it would would satisfy the requirements of being permitted development.

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

Thank you for all the pointers guys - glad I’m on the right track with Hamilton’s and the chap I talked to also mentioned a wipe down of surfaces with something like wd40 to help, Andy Banks, so great shout. 

The car will be with me on the 25th so will update with photos then. 

Peter Robinson that’s a fantastic setup but sadly my space is very limited (in London). 

Folks, while I have a few of you... after some advice to make the car I am buying suitable for primarily road/my use. 

This is the car in question. From several posts on another forum it’s clear I need to get hold of some cladding for the roll cage. I intend to drive with Sunday blast B roads mainly in mind, so no helmet.

Which company, which brand, what level, and where on the cage are the current questions? 

TIA. 

Most roll cage padding is NOT designed to save your skull in an accident, though will obviously help with any casual bangs while getting in and out. Roll cage padding is normally designed to work with a car type crash helmet*, so that the helmet isn’t obliterated on the first strike.

I’m sure I remember a few years ago though, that someone had managed to find one particular manufacturer of padding that was intended for a bear head. 

(*car type crash helmets are designed for the very specific impacts you’d likely get in a race car crash, such as hitting the roll cage, motorbike helmets are designed for bike crashes, so hitting a large flat surface like the road, and abrasion from the road etc. the requirements are subtlety different. Though either are fine when it comes to stone impacts and other road debris).

• Like 1

Personally I’d wear a lid with a full cage. But then again I always wear a lid out of preference, so I’m biased!

As Dave says, car helmets are designed for this type of impact, but I’d still rather hit an unpadded roll bar with a bike helmet than a padded one with my bare head!

58 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Most roll cage padding is NOT designed to save your skull in an accident, though will obviously help with any casual bangs while getting in and out. Roll cage padding is normally designed to work with a car type crash helmet*, so that the helmet isn’t obliterated on the first strike.

I’m sure I remember a few years ago though, that someone had managed to find one particular manufacturer of padding that was intended for a bear head. 

(*car type crash helmets are designed for the very specific impacts you’d likely get in a race car crash, such as hitting the roll cage, motorbike helmets are designed for bike crashes, so hitting a large flat surface like the road, and abrasion from the road etc. the requirements are subtlety different. Though either are fine when it comes to stone impacts and other road debris).

image.thumb.jpg.dab17c8c3dc17a88cc1b0bb5012ce75f.jpg

?

Thank you kindly @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary and @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO for the replies. I really don't want to have to use a helmet for every drive out. While I will get some cladding installed as advised, I have a preference to only wear a "skid lid" on track... am I bonkers? I really would like to just "jump in and go"...

Is there any advice on pros and cons of the carbon side doors? Are they worth it from a wind buffeting POV?

Carbon half doors are excellent for both wind and, more importantly, rain. They help stop the water that would get sprayed directly onto your lap from the tyres. Help, mind, not stop entirely!

Very pleased with mine.