Breakfast in the Peak District, Sun 12th Nov

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet at 10am, Artist Corner Car Park, Matlock Bath, DE4 3PS, SUNDAY. We will travel through the grounds of the Chatsworth Estate to Grindleford Train Station Cafe for breakfast. Afterwards it will be a wiggle round the roads of the Peak District, to finish early afternoon in order to try and miss the cold and dark that a descending sun brings.

The biggest challenge will be, if I can avoid finishing at the Tagg Lane Dairy, they sell Snickers Ice Cream, but we really should vary it a bit and go elsewhere, it's Dave's fault for telling me about it (snickers ice cream, not the dairy).

Sorry, I will have to miss this. The weekend plan appears to involve beer Friday and Saturday night, with old workmates that drink like fish.
Recovery time after a good night out gets longer as I get older.

Have a good day..  

Tescos sell Snicker ice cream if it gets too cold or wet :p

• Like 1

Righty ho Trevor, perhaps you might need a trip to Tesco, ice cream could be a good hangover remedy.

I have set the route and it will finish on the Cromford Canal, there is a cafe right on the side of the canal that serves scrumptious cake. The weather looks pretty good for both days of the weekend, so I have gone for Sunday.

Today I have been on the Chatsworth Estate and the weather was similar to last Sunday, so I took a couple of photos. It looks lovely as we drive along, but taking the photo's is not so easy, so I took some on foot today instead.

Chatsworth House

Chatsworth House.jpg

The burnt orange autumnal trees in Chatsworth

Chatsworth Trees.jpg

Could well be up for this one with Miss Mo (if work again does not kick in). 

Grindleford...  now there is a b/fast and a half!

• Like 1

Got to work Saturday, but should be OK for Sunday, as long as I don’t spend all afternoon scoffing icedcream!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

. It looks lovely as we drive along, but taking the photo's is not so easy

It is if you let Glen have his annual drive :p

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Trevturtle said:

It is if you let Glen have his annual drive :p

Hasn't there been some digestion that he had that earlier in year! 

Or was it officially disproved under investigation ? :p

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

Hasn't there been some digestion that he had that earlier in year! 

Or was it officially disproved under investigation ? :p

I think Glen  said it was in his dreams..then he woke up and he was in Chesterfield on the sofa

• Haha 1

Here you go, Glen is driving on Sunday !!!!! :dg-westy:

All the way out of the garage or further?

• Haha 3

@IanK (Bagpuss) you know me too well, you clever man, now, did I say which Sunday?

1 hour ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

Here you go, Glen is driving on Sunday !!!!! :dg-westy:

Don't tease! You're just trying to tempt us all out to witness such rarity :)

• Haha 1

Just realised that I didn't post that we are coming, see you in the morning:yes:

• Like 1

A quick meet up in Matlock. Dave, Martyn and Sue, Chris and Mo in the Westfields and Paul, who has SORN the VX220, came in his other flashy motor, a GT86. I asked if he would travel with the heater off and the windows down, but he just growled at me :d.

DSC02215.JPG

The interior of the GT86

DSC02216.JPG

We drove through Chatsworth and on until we got to Grindleford Station Cafe. I have a new hobby, when I approach the cyclists and slow down, I overtake them and then just lift off the throttle slightly, so I can hear Dave behind me accelerate past them. It works every time and it sounds fantastic, now that is how to turn a negative into a positive.

DSC02225.JPG

We had breakfast next to the real fire

DSC02219.JPG

DSC02217.JPG

But not before John and Jacky arrived in their super special car. It is a Honda S2000, GT model, with a rare platinum pearl white paint. It is an 08 plate with only 7500 miles on the clock, it is immaculate, just wait until you see the engine bay, a rare sight on this forum, a Honda engine actually in a Honda car.

DSC02221.JPG

DSC02224.JPG

After brekkie, we set off on some very scenic roads, everyone was glad when the slow MX5 turned off, why would you drop the top and bring your sports car out on a day like today, only to drive at 40 mph? When you see SLOW written on the road in white paint, it means normal cars must SLOW for the tight corner ahead, in sports car language it translates to FUN, prepare to speed up around the corner, yes? tell me I am wrong. Moving on, we booted it up the essess to Elton, and booted it down the Via Gellia, nice quiet roads today, thank you. We waited for the others at one point, which was an excellent photo opportunity.

DSC02227.JPG

DSC02228.JPG

We arrived at the Cromford Canal cafe, and it was cake time, yummy, yummy, ginger and lemon cake, I've never had that one before. Dave showed us his interior lighting display, which was impressive, I didn't know Westfield's had interior lights, what colour would sir like to travel by today, blue, green or orange?

DSC02236.JPG

DSC02242.JPG

The view from inside the cafe, we sat upstairs

DSC02241.JPG

The cafe

DSC02238.JPG

The canal

DSC02237.JPG

The GT86

DSC02231.JPG

Another brilliant day, with great, fun, roads, lovely views, lovely cars, excellent eating establishments, but best of all is the people and the laugh that we have.

Now, next weekend is the WSCC committee meeting so we will not be out, I am going to let Martyn's tyres down in the week :p, so he cannot go without us. If the weather is as sparkling as this I will be mortified and wildly jealous, and I definitely don't want to know about it Martyn. We will be back in action the weekend after though.

• Like 5