Quick Jack car lift

Sparkymart

No, but I have been interested in these for a while. Up until fairly recently they were not allowed in Europe for want of a CE mark, but now a European company is offering them albeit at a pretty steep price. The one thing that concerns me is the narrow base of the ramps that, with the height they lift to, may lead to lateral instability. If you are pushing and pulling at a suspension member or similar, would you be able to topple the ramps sideways? That said they are more attractive than scissor lifts because they allow free access down the centre, and also allow work on suspension which ramps do not.

4 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

No, but I have been interested in these for a while. Up until fairly recently they were not allowed in Europe for want of a CE mark, but now a European company is offering them albeit at a pretty steep price. The one thing that concerns me is the narrow base of the ramps that, with the height they lift to, may lead to lateral instability. If you are pushing and pulling at a suspension member or similar, would you be able to topple the ramps sideways? That said they are more attractive than scissor lifts because they allow free access down the centre, and also allow work on suspension which ramps do not.

That's the same as I was thinking looking at other lifts. The main things like gearbox ,prop, handbrake would be the main reason to get under the car which this gives access to. As for stability I would sooner be under a car with these ramps than on axle stands 

My main concern is lifting point's on the Westy lining up with the ramps 

I looked at that at the classic car show at the weekend but I think its to limited as you can't get full access to the tunnel area , unfortunately quick Jack weren't at the show

Items like this need a fail safe.   If it’s hydraulic and something goes wrong what stops it falling?   If it has mechanical lock outs great.    We are supposed to support a car on stands or something solid if your under it even if you lift on a trolly jack.     I’m lax regarding my trolly jack but they have no external hoses etc which can become damaged through age or general workshop abuse.  Unlike many of these lifting devices.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DamperMan said:

Items like this need a fail safe.   If it’s hydraulic and something goes wrong what stops it falling?   If it has mechanical lock outs great.    We are supposed to support a car on stands or something solid if your under it even if you lift on a trolly jack.     I’m lax regarding my trolly jack but they have no external hoses etc which can become damaged through age or general workshop abuse.  Unlike many of these lifting devices.   

I agree with you about a fail safe I normally put the wheel under the sill just in case .. These jack's has a bar that automatically lock's into place and once located you lower the Jack so it's on the lock bar and not the hydraulic cylinder which is a feature I like

Regarding safety.... Goog luck rolling out from under there if anything did happen.

I am always wary of getting under any vehicle with a trolley jack or any contraption that is not equipped with lock outs or using stands.

As an apprentice mechanic I went under a transit van to just do a quick job and the jack came down pinning me but not injuring. They left me there all morning to teach me a lesson.

Some of the contraptions people use are okay if they are used with care but some I have seen at car shows with a car tottering on it are too scary to consider using as they say in my opinion

The load test is meaning less if it didn't fail. I want to see what happens when the piston fails. I bet it would have just folded up. 

I'm pretty sure there's a mechanical strut to offload the stress from the hydraulics.

42 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I'm pretty sure there's a mechanical strut to offload the stress from the hydraulics.

Yes but how strong is it? At the angle it engages I wouldn't want more than 1000kg on it. 

16 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

As an apprentice mechanic I went under a transit van to just do a quick job and the jack came down pinning me but not injuring. They left me there all morning to teach me a lesson.

That was the Good Old Days Jeff and if it happened now I reckon not only would there be a lawsuit against the company but the individual under the transit would require years of therapy and most likely never work again.

Changed times indeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1