GBS Christmas Drinks and Mince Pies, Sat 16th Dec

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Given that the car has been under snow all week, and I’ll be setting out at around 7.30am, not sure how easy the roof will be to get down. (I’ve done it before and thought it was going to rip the seams out, till it had warmed up a bit.) might end up having to set out with it up to try and get some heat and flexibility into it!!

44 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

Drive slow and safe everyone, except Martyn, who will no doubt be dough nutting his way there :d  

I resemble that remark! :westy:

38 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

Yes, we will be roofless, doorless and brainless :t-up:

And that one! :suspect:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

Drive slow and safe everyone, except Martyn, who will no doubt be dough nutting his way there :d  

I won't be coming, sorry. Have my mince pie for me, Julie. I remember donutting last time I was out with you, sponsored by Trev's excellent home made ones:yes:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Was a bit chilly on the way back...

43805ED6-8F5D-4EA8-B9AE-143A192417B2.jpeg

There was proper snow in the fields and verges by the time I got to Buxton and the Cat and Fiddle road. Very picturesque, briefly, then as it started getting dark, the fog came down, properly thick.

Another fab day though, excellent sausage and cakes at GBS, who seem to have an ambitious car development plan well on track to launch new Race chassis for the existing Zero, and the all new Seven style car next year.

• Like 4

We met at McD's, Dave was there too, just out of camera shot. It was 9.30 am in the morning and the non-drivers had already started on the whisky in Glen's hip flask, what are they like?

DSC02578.JPG

Axminster Andrew had new heated seats and plush carpets fitted, when is the fireplace going in?

DSC02579.JPG

We arrived at the GBS factory, where I did expect it to be quiet, but there was one only GBS car parked up, when we arrived, extra to the factory ones on display. One other that was up for sale came on a trailer and then I only saw another 2 visitors. We didn't delay in helping them get through the BBQ of German sausages, currywurst sauce washed down with a little sip of German beer. Boy, could I go and live in Germany, I can eat this all day long. The ladies found the mulled wine and did their bit to relieve them of the large quantity that was available, Clare was giggling a lot at this point, can't think why. 

DSC02593.JPG

After the 'starter' we went inside for dessert, and the lovely GBS ladies did not disappoint with their homemade produce.

DSC02590.JPG

Burp, oh excuse me, shall we do the car bit now? We parked in the Westfield Parking Area outside the factory, that's right isn't it? well if the GBS's aren't coming we will at least try and draw some people in by giving them something interesting to look at, it's the least we can do.

DSC02584.JPG

I like a clean car, but I don't dislike the 'rally car' look that Dave had gained on the journey here, use 'em and mucky 'em, it's good practice. The car behind is the one for sale, not the highest build quality and the owner would not discuss a price, just saying 'make me an offer' he wasn't a salesman then.

DSC02582.JPG

It was all hot sausage and no bun for Glen

DSC02585.JPG

Inside Martyn and Dave were having a rest from eating by admiring the suspension set up that was on display.

DSC02591.JPG

The was also a 2 litre Zetec on show in the Kit Spares shop

DSC02592.JPG

DSC02589.JPG

DSC02587.JPG

DSC02586.JPG

I had better put some GBS photo's on, there's a good girl

DSC02594.JPG

DSC02595.JPG

A quiet car park

DSC02597.JPG

We had a good chat with the owner about the new car that is being launched in the spring of 2018 and then it was time to go to Thoresby Park for, erm, lunch.

Andrew was doing his bit for the Santa Run

DSC02599.JPG

It didn't quite go to plan, the little military museum was closed and then the staff in the cafe were adamant that we could not fit 7 around a table...ready for it....because the plates are too big. It was a good one and definitely a new one on me. We go to a lot of places as a big group and we always get a warm welcome, with staff doing their best to accommodate all of us. The lady on the next table recommended that we go to the Antiques Emporium at Budby, only a mile or so down the road. So we did, and it was a huge success, with guess what, helpful staff.

Let the feasting begin.

gbs dec 17.jpg

With plenty of parking and good food we will be returning here

DSC02602.JPG

I will have to watch my husband though, he was flirting with the staff, and look at his wandering hands

DSC02606.JPG

We kept warm today by wearing the local road kill population, and my hot water bottle has had twins.

DSC02577.JPG

DSC02608.JPG

Andrew did not come out of the antiques centre unscathed, as Clare was treated to an early xmas present, but I think he knew that was going to happen as soon as the lady had suggested we go to an antiques place. 

Thank you to Dave, Martyn and Sue, and Andrew and Clare for making it a great day for us today. it has been wonderful, and just increases my confusion over why anyone would not come out in their Westfield on a winter's day, try it, you never know, you might actually like it.

• Like 4