Oil usage

Weekend Warrior

Had 1800 and 2000 zetecs, used to use a bit of oil. Sometimes less sometimes more even on road or on track. Regular checking would be my suggestion. Oily plugs, you bet your boots on that as any rolling road guy always adds a bit more fuel so to avoid lean running. Daft b*******s don't consider bore wash. Cost me a packet to replace pistons and rings. Not taking car to that rolling road again however much you pay me.

Make/weight of oil made a heck of difference to S2000. Used to use 1/2 liter 1000 miles until i change. 7500 miles including Euro tour at 2500 miles later, not a drop lost i kid you not.

15 minutes ago, Terryathome said:

Had 1800 and 2000 zetecs, used to use a bit of oil. Sometimes less sometimes more even on road or on track. Regular checking would be my suggestion. Oily plugs, you bet your boots on that as any rolling road guy always adds a bit more fuel so to avoid lean running. Daft b*******s don't consider bore wash. Cost me a packet to replace pistons and rings. Not taking car to that rolling road again however much you pay me.

Make/weight of oil made a heck of difference to S2000. Used to use 1/2 liter 1000 miles until i change. 7500 miles including Euro tour at 2500 miles later, not a drop lost i kid you not.

I was told by previous owner that dunnell recommend Millers 5w 40 fully synthetic ,although a good quality equivalent brand must be as good

5w40 is what raceline toldme.  1l per 1000 miles sounds a fair bit.   The old mans Aec mandator 11 litre 205 bhp, would use 1 gallon a hard day!.    My old 200k cavalier 1.6d would use 0.5l in 5.5k then use 0.5 l every 500 miles until the oil was changed again. I assume the fleet oil used had had enough then.    I’d do a compression test, if it comes up fine i’d Ignore it.  

Another thought If the oil is getting over hot it could get used like a over thin oil could.   

• Like 1

I think I would be inclined to check the compression hot just in case there's something amiss, but if that looks OK just accept it. I rebuilt my Zetec way back in the mists of time and it burnt a little oil for a good few thousand miles before eventually settling down to be quite oil tight.

Might also be worth a look underneath as mine has been through a couple of rear crank oil seals.

As has been said, do make sure your dipstick markings represent a sensible level, as oil consumption will increase (and you might well get oil surge) if the crank is allowed to whip it up.