Oil usage

Weekend Warrior

How much oil does your engine use ,how often do you top up ?

as I've said before I'm not mechanically minded and the workings of an engine are on a par with  a woman's mind ,Ive no idea what's going on . I'm pretty heavy with my right foot and like getting the most out of my engine ,the exhaust doesn't smoke and is dry when you rub your finger round it ,there are no leaks in the the engine bay .

i keep my eye on it and top it up when needed ,should I be concerned 

I've not had my xflow engined car long, but I top up the oil everytime the Mrs complains the puddle on the drive could make Green Peace call and wash the oil off the dogs !

In reality, I check it after a run, before putting the car away, good chance to look everything over too.

A 2l zetec blacktop, Dunnell built around 4000 miles ago ,stage 4 tune '{I think } makes 238 BHP at 7000 revs 

As long as its between max and half way, I keep it in that zone. Remember that with extra cornering speed relative to a standard car, the engine probably came from, its always best to keep it in the upper level, than let it go too low and you loose oil pressure.

2 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

A 2l zetec blacktop, Dunnell built around 4000 miles ago ,stage 4 tune '{I think } makes 238 BHP at 7000 revs 

Zetecs dont use hardly any oil. Dont think I used to top my old car up that much. Also depends on how fresh the engine is. The more leggy, the more chance of oil useage. I normally check after a few runs out as a matter of course.

6 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

As long as its between max and half way, I keep it in that zone. Remember that with extra cornering speed relative to a standard car, the engine probably came from, its always best to keep it in the upper level, than let it go too low and you loose oil pressure.

Thats where I keep it between max and half way ,if your doing the same it means it's going somewhere ,but where ? 

I had a Saab 9-3  aero once which went like the clappers  never smoked or had an oil leak but I always had to top that up ,when I asked why at the garage theŷ  said some cars are like that .

Ive read a few posts on here about oil starvation and engines that have died a death due to lack of the black stuff .Where does it go ,Ive always been told that if you've got enough oil and water you can't go far wrong ,so if I have to put a bit in every now and then so be it.

just trying to understand where it goes 

If the engine is bone dry and you don't have a oil catch can that's half full:laugh:then it must be getting burnt.

How much are you using?

At a rough guess a litre every thousand miles of hard driving 

Modern engines use thinner oils, this 'can' allow it to burn off , I guess. Honda Vtecs , like mine does use a bit, but when on Vtec sprays oil everywhere . I am guessing with the stage of tune you have, that you have different pistons. Also a race tuned / modded engine will have potentially looser ring gaps or even less rings, which can contribute towards some oil useage.

My standard blacktop uses none unless I change it!

But I’d imagine a stage 4 tuned engine would use a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

My standard blacktop uses none unless I change it!

But I’d imagine a stage 4 tuned engine would use a bit. 

Ok ,but where is it used and why ?

22 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Sure I have read this before ? ???

And answered before 

Ok point taken sorry I wasn't doubting you I just wondered if a zetec may be different from your Honda ,as I said I'm no mechanic but I suppose all engines work on the same principles .

Am I to assume that there's nothing to worry about as long as I keep it topped up .

A ltr every 1000 miles sounds a lot IMO on a pretty fresh engine.

Are you using the correct grade of oil? 

Ref Where it's going,it's getting burnt. 

So it's getting into the combustion chamber somehow,either threw the valve stem oil seals or passed the piston rings.