GaryR1983

Westfield Aerorace S2000 rebuild and IVA

Hi guys,

I thought i'd put this here so i can keep track of changes and have a place to ask all of the dumb question that are bound to follow,

A short summary, feel free to tell me i'm waffling, I bought a Westfield Aerorace with an S2000 motor, Drysump, ITB's ect.
Despite being built in 2012 it had only done a handful of sprints and trackdays over in Ireland and looked a very nice car.
It was my intention to do a few trackdays and then make any modifications that where needed to IVA the car over the winter.
I managed 10 minutes at a trackday before being chucked out due to failing drive by noise limits and the car has been sat in the garage ever since with me kicking it everytime i go in there.

Last week I decided I'd had enough of the car so went and viewed a road legal Westfield Mazda recently built with a view to buying that and selling my car to someone more patient than me.

I then spoke to my other half and she pointed out winter was approaching and having a finished car in the garage not being used over winter would only nark me so the decision was made to ground up rebuild the car I already own. 
On Monday I made a start. The plan is too have the car finished around January time, IVA'd soon after and hopefully registered beginning of March but don't remind me off this when I'm still asking question in a couple of years.

So as they say, Pictures speak a thousand words.

When purchased IT, (it's still an it for now) looked like this

vmxaow.jpg
inczzs.jpg
2n0o4cw.jpg

Then out came the engine, Gearbox and diff
5a2bmp.jpg
2j1u06f.jpg
rhu8ph.jpg

The diff which is a tran-x unit has been sent off to Dave Rae motorsport to be checked over and have the cases refurbished,
The gearbox will follow when i find the time to drive it there,

Next up was stripping the chassis, This was relatively painless until it came time to removing the bonded on panels, 12hrs and alot of swearing later i was left with an almost bare chassis and a pile of parts for powdercoating. The chassis was in really good condition but I couldn't be bothered trying to peel all the sikaflex residue off so that's been sent for powdercoating also

14u7yi8.jpg
jfl251.jpg

Everything was dropped off at the coaters this afternoon, 
Due to workload they expect the parts to be ready in around 10 days which isn't too bad.

So that's us upto date, Best do some real work this week If I'm ever going to pay for it all

Next us is starting to strip and clean up the engine, 

• Like 1

Nice work but what do you plan to do to reduce the noise? What track did you get kicked off & what was the limit?

Andy

It will be induction noise I'd of thought steve. Maybe a custom plenum gary would help with your noise 

I believe it's all induction noise. It was only 95db static but 108db drive by at Brands Hatch. 

To get around noise I've been looking into a custom airbox but I'm not keen on having anything bigger than I already have sticking through the bonnet.

I've been speaking to Richard at TTS about a supercharger kit with custom plenum but I'm not sure my pockets are deep enough.. 

I'll cross that bridge the week before my next trackday I'm sure.

Ah just seen the filter poking through the bonnet as I was just thinking that the mega s2000 boys on ITBs seem to be ok noise. Maybe an airbox is the way to go then and/or get it all under the bonnet?

Dan St makes a plenum to fit jenvey throttle bodies. I made my own on my mazda turbo much cheaper if I was doing it again id sell my throttle bodies and fit a skunk 2 inlet manifold and single throttle body 

I got pinged at Malory at 106db & my filter is under the bonnet. I Wedged some wire wool in the silencer & was ok for the rest of the day.

Won't supercharging just make matters worse? 

3 minutes ago, Sycho said:

I got pinged at Malory at 106db & my filter is under the bonnet. I Wedged some wire wool in the silencer & was ok for the rest of the day.

Won't supercharging just make matters worse? 

Yes, the supercharged S2000 cars are way louder, despite using the original Honda throttle body and plenum. At least one of them has ended up having twin silencers , mounted shot gun style, on the side of the car.

Caterham have similar issues with the Supercharged 620R and often have a second silencer acros the back of the car.

Was that 106db on the static test. 

my thoughts regarding supercharger where If I'm paying up for a custom made airbox I may aswell have the complete supercharger setup at the same time. Richard at TTSthinks we could squeeze it all under the bonnet.

The exhausts is actually rather quiet. You can hear the induction noise even with a helmet on.

The engine is just standard. I have a printout from when the DTA  and ITBs where mapped and it made 255bhp which i don't know if is good or bad 

106 drive by.

255bhp is about right I know another one with a very similar spec which is putting out about 160bhp.

when I was last at Mallory the noise limits where strange.

103db static with no drive by to speak of  but they would pull you in if they felt it was too loud. I was flagged in an RX7. fitted a bung and that was fine.

the drive by limit at Brands on my day was 92db. 2 x Caterhams with filters through the bonnet where also evicted.

Apparently MSVs new procedure is 1 chance and you're out.

That's doesn't sound good just booked Caldwell with MSV, Mallory didn't have a static test when I was there.