Faded Carpet

AndrewBClarke

Hello. I have a Westy with dark blue carpets. In the last two years, exposed carpet has faded from dark blue to grey and looks ropey. Have taken it all out at the moment (not a small task) and used 'furniture clinic fabricoat' as recommended by someone. It has had no effect at all so looking for your help to come up with alternatives.

Westfield themselves seem to only sell black now and I like the dark blue - and how long will it last anyway as the set in the car is only a 7 year old Westfield set and it is not good.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tunnel Carpet.jpg

Carpet after cleaning before fabricoat.jpg

After Royal Blue fabricoat[2305843009214117430].jpg

1 hour ago, Thrustyjust said:

Can you not google carpet dye companies and see if they can help. I just did and found a few.

If you read the carpet dye company details they all appear to say that you cannot re-dye man made fabrics. This is why the FabriCoat system has not worked. Not as easy as that!!

Just helping ??? They might be able to help in other ways, such as making a new set. Its not rocket science to unstitch it and get new carpet cut the same and then find someone with a machine to remake them. Its only 3 bits of carpet . The backs one piece , the floor mats another. See Woolies for carpet material.

• Like 1

Carpet! 

You'll be telling me you can get heaters in them next.

:getmecoat:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, toys4x4boys said:

Carpet! 

You'll be telling me you can get heaters in them next.

:getmecoat:

Crossflow cars dont need heaters, they just spit fuel , flames and heat from the carbs :oops: 

• Haha 1

You will never get them back in good condition but if you look at the links below both do Blue carpet in differing qualities. Any trimmer would easily make a set up as you have good templates with the old ones and will probably have local suppliers as well.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-90-rotproof-carpet.aspx

http://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/carpet.php

Hope that is of some help

• Like 1

If you can handle 3-4kg extra onto your car, I can thoroughly recommend dyna-matting the alloy panels and bonnet to greatly reduce panel-drum, before the new carpets go down. If new-building, then it can also go on the backside of the inner side panels (opposite the tunnel, if you know what I mean). 

• Like 1

I haven’t done the bonnet - may give that a go, but I have retrofitted the cockpit -made a very worthwhile improvement to temps, and though hardly quiet, it has improved matters when I drive with the top up.

I’ve saved a piece or two to do the engine facing part of the scuttle, next time it’s off.

EFE5ED56-1E8B-47A3-B085-559DCFA8F988.jpeg

And then on the tunnel and rear bulkhead, I’ve an extra layer of the Dynaliner thermal insulator matting.

304F66DA-B589-439D-8E91-2E5D0110045B.jpeg

It does add weight, so obviously not suitable for everyone.

But in some extreme, (high 30’s) temperatures, driving for hour and two hour blasts in France this summer, it made a huge difference to the heat soak I’d normally get coming in from the engine and transmission. (The Honda is a hot engine!)

• Like 1