Long journey?

geoff80

One last comment on POR15, as it’s been mentioned a few times recently.

I’d always recommend brushing, unless you know what you’re doing with the spraying of hazardous chemicals and have proper PPE.

POR15, in aerosolised form, coming out of a spray gun is both a really nasty material and has some very dangerous characteristics.

The chemicals, once inside you can do anything from make you feel slightly ill, right the way up to having major life altering consequences. To make matters worse, the aerosolised form isn’t just toxic if breathed in, but also readily absorbed through contact with the skin.

So when spraying, you should be using the full head to toe gimp suits, along with an air-fed type face mask.

Whereas in normal brushed on use, you’re biggest worry is living with splashes on your hands for a week or so, while it wears off.

I wouldn't recommend foam in the chassis rails. The standard products are pretty flammable so could potentially make future weld and crack repairs to the chassis difficult/impossible.

Thanks for the further replies particularly that from Dave clarifying the hazards of some chemical  stripping agents and using POR  paint?   I am now converted to try to find someone in the Northampton area to professionally clean and powder coat the chassis.   If there is anyone in that area who has had this kind of work carried out and is pleased with the results, please let me know so that I'm able to get a quote.  

Hi,

I've used S W Powder Coating in Banbury. www.swpowdercoatingltd.co.uk. 01295 262999. The last job they did for me was my steel wheels, they did a great job of blasting and powder coating..

Hope this helps.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Chris for your recommendation, It is a little farther than I would hope to go.  Thus far I have only contacted one local company who suggested £450 to £500, not an estimate!    Is this a reasonable figure?  I have no idea.   

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary You're right Dave, POR-15 needs full body protection and air-fed breathing when spraying it - it contains di-isocyanate. 2K paint has it in the hardener, as does some two-pack glues.

As an ex-NZ Airforce Safety & Surface Tech, part of my trade was aircraft spraypainting - which I can no longer do, as I am now sensitized to methyl di-isocyanate (brings on asthma attack if I breathe it in now). Your body can't flush it from your lungs as it forms a protein bond with the lining of the lungs. Not only can you breathe it in when in an atomised state, it can be absorbed through the skin and eyeballs, and it is a carcinogenic - it's not to be treated lightly. . Even with all the proper PPE, I became affected, and eventually took a medical discharge from the AF after only 12 years service.