Garage roof

dombanks

Long and short of it is I've bought a house almost and the garage is one of those prefab type things. From what i can remember the walls had some ropey looking angle iron metalwork holding the together and the roof was basically collapsing inside. I think it needs a new door. 

So maybe the way to go is just pull it down and buy a new prefab one. But if it's just a roof how are these made?

The internet is not that forth coming but I'm guessing it's not to different to a deck type structure with 2x8 or 3x8 with flat boarding and then either a flat roof or some sort of corrugated sheet. 

If rather spend as little as possible as really I wamt to pull it down and extend the house slightly but thats a fee yrs off so if want to make do for now

I've just had mine done with galvanised steel sheets and coated steel barge boards, hopefully it will last another 25 years. Not cheap, especially if you're planning to take it down sometime. 

20170929_104801.jpg

I’ve got a sectional concrete garage that came with the house. The roof is made up with lightweight steel trusses then simply covered over with corrugated bituminous sheets. Can’t recall the name of the stuff at the moment, but I used it on the men shed when I put that up too as it’s long lasting and trouble free. The trusses are pretty simple, certainly wouldn’t be hard or expensive to diy a set of those from 25mm angle.

That's the sort of stuff I was thinking of wickes sell it for 15 quid a sheet so not too much and use wood for the truss. I've read a few things saying it's a good idea to support these sheets with boarding over big spans so over time it doesn't sag.

My advice would be to stop and think what you want going forward. Long term a proper brick built one is cost effective as it will increase the value of your home and getting PP, if it is needed is easier when you can show what you are replacing. 

Once it is full of stuff it is harder to do and if you need a new roof and Door then you only need to spend to build three walls essentially which can be done reasonably.

It is just a thought as I have done this a few times and they are never big enough

13 hours ago, dombanks said:

That's the sort of stuff I was thinking of wickes sell it for 15 quid a sheet so not too much and use wood for the truss. I've read a few things saying it's a good idea to support these sheets with boarding over big spans so over time it doesn't sag.

Coroline was the stuff. The garage has a fairly low ridge height pitched roof and the bulk is unsupported and yes, they have sagged a bit, but not excessively. You could board, or just add a few battens to help support it. I’ve no idea how long the garage roof has been up there, but it’s certainly a good few years.

the man shed roof was fully boarded, again with a low ridge pitch, and after treating the timber I just put the Coroline straight on top,, with the ridge ‘tiles’ to finish it.

i quite agree about a proper brick built garage being better, but you’ve got that on the long term plan so a quick repair using Coroline or similar sounds like an easy and fairly cheap fix for now.

Jeff that would be the idea.

But I'm on my own so affording a nice house in a nice area is a big stretch. For now  I simply can't afford to do that. Long term plan is an extension including a garage but that's a few yrs off.

I agree once I can get in and get a proper look I can decide. I wasn't convinced that the rest of it was much better than the roof tbh so I might not have much of a choice 

Give me until Monday and I'll set up a trade cash card so you can buy from any Travis Perkins, I'll set the onduline/coroline  so it will be cheaper for you and post the card number on here on here. :-)

Only if you want me to tho

I had a garage like that years ago and I sold it and had a brick one built is a peaked roof. Now when I’m in it I look up at all the rubbish I have stuffed in the roof and think my sons will have to sort that lot when I’m dead cause I just haven’t got the energy.

10 hours ago, dombanks said:

Jeff that would be the idea.

But I'm on my own so affording a nice house in a nice area is a big stretch. For now  I simply can't afford to do that. Long term plan is an extension including a garage but that's a few yrs off.

I agree once I can get in and get a proper look I can decide. I wasn't convinced that the rest of it was much better than the roof tbh so I might not have much of a choice 

That makes sense then and well done for getting a home on your own in a nice area. 

Unless the concrete is all blown out you can pretty easily make new roofing trusses. If you have to do that make it a pitch roof as they tend to last longer. Also bear in mind that if it is sectional they are pretty easy to extend by slotting in a panel or two and there are usually plenty of good sections and garage doors on local sales sites as people replace with electric ones.

The only downside is that panels weigh a ton to move definitely a two stout person job.

Id appriciate that pete but there is no rush my vendors are still looking so i doubt ill move for a good while. For some reason they couldn't make offers because there was no offer on their house? Any way i said I was in no hurry so long as the house goes stc.

I'll need to have a good look when i get in jeff it has sone sort of lean to on the back which looked like it was just on bare ground. Gumtree etc is not a bad idea. I pretty much cleared myself out bar selling the westy to get out of the money pit house i was in and get this one Down here so make do and mend in the short term is the order of the day. 

• Like 1

Just let me know when, I'll open a generic card for the club so it will work for all. 

• Like 3

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 07:34, dombanks said:

Long and short of it is I've bought a house almost and the garage is one of those prefab type things. From what i can remember the walls had some ropey looking angle iron metalwork holding the together and the roof was basically collapsing inside. I think it needs a new door. 

So maybe the way to go is just pull it down and buy a new prefab one. But if it's just a roof how are these made?

The internet is not that forth coming but I'm guessing it's not to different to a deck type structure with 2x8 or 3x8 with flat boarding and then either a flat roof or some sort of corrugated sheet. 

If rather spend as little as possible as really I wamt to pull it down and extend the house slightly but thats a fee yrs off so if want to make do for now

Just make sure the old garage is not made from Asbestos sheets Dom. If it is, you will need an asbestos skip to dispose of it. Council landfill sites charge an arm and a leg to take asbestos (assuming they will take it at all) which will need double bagging in thick plastic bags before you take it. It would also be a good idea to spray the panels with a mixture of PVA and water before you even touch it to ensure no fibres escape into the atmosphere (or your lungs). Even if you are unsure of the material, if it's old then treat it as asbestos. A lot of the old prefab type outbuildings used an asbestos/cement mix to make the panels, and while it is not as dangerous as blue or brown asbestos, it can still be nasty stuff if it gets into your lungs.

Thanks for the headsup.... Im well versed in asbestos. Leicester uni is that riddled with the stuff that they send anyone who has buildings responsibility on a course.... I have a card to prove it.... Its a constant source of p*** taking cos i sent my staff on it and ladder training... Lol 

• Like 1