Over 4.xx 7" Sierra LSD wanted

maurici

So, I need to shorten the gearing of my car. It would do over 150mph with a long staight, and I don't requiere this speeds.

Anything over 4.2 would help.

Thanks;

Maurici.

A while back when I was doing some searching I was offered a 4.7. I'll see if I can dig out who from.

4.44 crown wheel & pinion sets are available, but they are rare, and you would be lucky to drop on one. 

If you are willing to pay the considerable cost, they can be purchased new. I had one in my old car, which I purchased (new) from Bara Motorsport.

@Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO this 4.7 could be a lot more agressive that what I wanted, and commit the car to full track use... BUT actually it is a full track car... so... PLEASE!!! pas me the details that will go for it!!

Unless I can persuade @Paul Aspden to sell his for an indecent ammount of money, jut because is available now... (PLease, Paul, please.... :cry:)

4 minutes ago, stephenh said:

4.44 crown wheel & pinion sets are available, but they are rare, and you would be lucky to drop on one. 

If you are willing to pay the considerable cost, they can be purchased new. I had one in my old car, which I purchased (new) from Bara Motorsport.

I know.

I don´t have 2 grands to invest TBH...

But i know that, a 4.4 (or shorter if avail)  would really change the car, and would place it like the machine to have to win any roadgoing based championship, as my car isn´t more competitive because of the gearing. (and the driver, but that is a sensible topic that the driver is not happy to discuss).

However, open to offers. I did try to find something last year, and I droped my search when I blew my engine... but, now I´m back on the hunt. (my 3.92 Sierra LSD in perfect shape of use could be included in the deal...)

You could get your diff rebuilt with a new (not second hand) crown wheel and pinion for about £750 I think, but I'm doing this from memory, so i may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time!

Change the gearbox ratios to suit instead. Who needs 5th with a torquey VX engine? Only first 4 gears required

Well. To do that, I don't need to change anything as my 4th does just under 132mph that is what I'm after.

The idea of all of this is to reach this top speed faster with a decent steps in the middle.

Swap the diff is something that can be done in 20 minutes...

change gearbox ratios, for me, means months as I can't do it at home. (take the car to preston, work a full weekend to take all out. Send the gearbox to BGH, pay a nice sume for the new gearing, wait untill it comes back, another weekend to drop everything back...)...

Rather swap the diff....

13 minutes ago, maurici said:

Well. To do that, I don't need to change anything as my 4th does just under 132mph that is what I'm after.

The idea of all of this is to reach this top speed faster with a decent steps in the middle.

Swap the diff is something that can be done in 20 minutes...

change gearbox ratios, for me, means months as I can't do it at home. (take the car to preston, work a full weekend to take all out. Send the gearbox to BGH, pay a nice sume for the new gearing, wait untill it comes back, another weekend to drop everything back...)...

Rather swap the diff....

And if you damage it at any point you will struggle to find another. Therefore better to keep commonly available ratio diff and spec the gearbox properly

yep. you have a point here, but is something that i can't do now. My free time during the next year is going to be very limited, so take the egngine out while other options are available, isn't happening.

Bara will allways be ahppy to take my money as a last resource.

well. Just spoken with raceline.

They have 4.7 gearing, and they seem pretty affordable.

Someone has dealt with them before?

If so, any experiences?

@Arm ash, what LSD do you have? I´m not sure I can afford new gearing and new LSD as my viscous is pretty good, BUT... given the oportunity...

Visc. Refurbed

4.7 is way too low for a vaux xe. 

I have dealt with Raceline and they were good.

Yes 4.7 is way too low !

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.