Which type of shed?

Sparkymart

I need to get a shed to put my overflow of tool's in along with the Push bikes and the like 

Question is metal or wood ? The metal one's are 10 year anti corrosion and possible  a bit more secure but I'm more concerned about what's in it as I don't want stuff rusting 

Would the metal one's be more prone to  condensation than a wooden shed

Anyone had any experience with the metal type?

Cheers

I have an Argos metal shed which doesn't seem to condensate at all. Compared to the Compton garage I have which isn't worth keeping anything in due to the waterfall of condensate that produces. Unfortunately I can't fit a car in the metal shed....

The most common mistake people make with sheds is tucking them against a wall or into a corner, making it impossible to wood treat them or spot any rust at the back until it’s rotted clean through.  If you see a shed where the door doesn’t close correctly, I can guarantee it’s up against a wall and rotting at the rear corner or back.

Can't comment on condensation as I have a wooden shed. However if you get a wooden one you can have it custom made to fit your plot and get more usable space. I have had internal dividers put in to separate gardening and toy space and front and side doors to make access easier. If you go to the local shed makers they do all this for no more than an b and q standard one.

Good luck

Thanks guys unfortunately like Scott said I will need to put it in a corner but I did plan to leave a small gap around it so I could squeeze around it for maintenance

• Thanks 1

Ventilation is the key to no damp. Make sure you have air moving though it. My wooden shed has a gale hurtling through and is dry as a bone.

As others have said ventilation is key as is good drainage. A lot of sheds have no gutters and the water then falls and splash up on to the wood where it gets more of a soaking than it needs.

Also consider if the corner is onto the house make it a lean to as then you get that bit more space and they tend to be a bit warmer.

Had a metal shed for well over 2 decades now. It's not air tight and it's as dry as a bone in there. And apart from the odd loose screw on the doors it has been maintenance free.

what about building out of concrete blockup to at least window level and then clad it  much more secure and more likely to be dry as you can seal the base   -thats what ive got and its brill

5 minutes ago, frubpato? said:

what about building out of concrete blockup to at least window level and then clad it  much more secure and more likely to be dry as you can seal the base   -thats what ive got and its brill

Yeah I would like to do that but it's hard to find time to put a base down and build a tin shed let alone a block one :(

Metal sheds look so ugly in the garden so I would say wood..   if you buy a summer house type it will look very attractive as well so that's what I did.