What if?

Kevin (Mr T)

What if I was thinking of retiring the mighty Crossflow and replacing it with a Sigma unit from the Puma.

What would the shopping list look like, assuming I was buying a complete car to take the engine from?

Remember the sigma works the other way round, so the exhaust is on the drivers side.

If you stick to the webers off the crossflow, a basic list is ........

Exhaust manifold

Sump

Inlet manifold

ECU and rolling road mapping

Flywheel and potential clutch bits ( maybe hydraulic ?) 

Engine mounts

Bellhousing if you have a type 9 box or if 4 speed, might need to convert to 5 speed ?

Hoses for rad

er................. probably other things, I cant think of currently.

• Like 1

Would probably go bike carbs. Reckon I could sell my nearly new Webers, buy them and still have change, which would be nice.

No bothered about the inlet/exhaust switch, as my friendly local engineering company have promised to provide the material and facilitites to have a go at making a new aluminium bonnet, when I am brave enough. What could possibly go wrong!

ECU.........that's gonna be a few quid I guess?

Would love to keep the four speed, is that a no no?

Just now, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Would probably go bike carbs. Reckon I could sell my nearly new Webers, buy them and still have change, which would be nice.

No bothered about the inlet/exhaust switch, as my friendly local engineering company have promised to provide the material and facilitites to have a go at making a new aluminium bonnet, when I am brave enough. What could possibly go wrong!

ECU.........that's gonna be a few quid I guess?

Would love to keep the four speed, is that a no no?

I said maybe, I dont know it they make a 4 speed to sigma bell housing. Also, I dont know if the cast bell housing separates from the box ? If you go bike carbs are you thinking throttle bodies ? If so, you then enter the realms of additional fuel lines, swirl tanks wiring mods. As for ECU's , I cant recommend enough on speaking to Emerald about there system. My last car had it fitted and was brilliant. They will upload a data file for the engine as a get you running too, which saves a lot of time.

• Like 1

Kev, your MegaJolt will run the Sigma just as happily as the Crossflow if you stick bike carbs on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

My concern would be height. Surely the sigma is a fair bit taller? Will it fit?

They do fit Sigma's in Cateruummmms..................

20 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

They do fit Sigma's in Cateruummmms..................

They also fit Duratecs and couldn't see one of those in a pre-lit...

Hi,

The height issue can be resolved by fitting a Caterham Sigma sump kit, the kit is made by Titan but they aren't allowed to sell it direct. If you are considering bike carbs, why not think about bike throttle bodies? DanST do a good kit for the Sigma and you can use the standard injectors.

Gary

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GaryH said:

Hi,

The height issue can be resolved by fitting a Caterham Sigma sump kit, the kit is made by Titan but they aren't allowed to sell it direct. If you are considering bike carbs, why not think about bike throttle bodies? DanST do a good kit for the Sigma and you can use the standard injectors.

Gary

Only problem I can see with the Cateringvan wet sump kit is that it would be a shame to fork out £440 only to have to take a grinder to it to get rid of the branding! :d

4 minutes ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Essex AO said:

Only problem I can see with the Cateringvan wet sump kit is that it would be a shame to fork out £440 only to have to take a grinder to it to get rid of the branding! :d

Thats very true Kevin, as with a crossflow, give it 20 miles and it will be soaked in black oil to save having to do that :d

• Like 1

That's why I found out who made the kit to see if I could get a Titan branded one, but no luck. Mind you, the investment that a bigger company can make shows in the quality of all the materials and fit of every part. To really sort out the ground clearance I cut down the bell housing to match it and I did have fleeting "grind the name off" moment, but I left it. I just try driving faster to leave it behind...

To add a bit more to the idea, we've got a crossflow engine Westfield and sigma engine Westfield in the family. They are both well set up, but the sigma is simply much more nimble as it is so much lighter.

Gary

• Like 1

Going to the dark side Kevin.

Thrustyjust, thanks for the link to the narrow. love the Louvre panel behind the exhaust!

Gary

26 minutes ago, garytipping said:

Going to the dark side Kevin.

Thrustyjust, thanks for the link to the narrow. love the Louvre panel behind the exhaust!

Gary

Certainly considering it Gary, fed up with the Zetec boys blowing me away on the straights at the track days! Figure if I fit one of these and get it down to 520kgs, I might be nearer the pace.

• Like 1