Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

XI Fuel tank capacity

Anyone know what the capacity is of the standard factory XI fuel tank?

Because of the unusual shape it isn't really an easy job to calculate from measuring it.

I'll need to know when I get round to re-calibrating the fuel gauge once I've fitted my Spiyder  gauge wizard.

Hi, Stephen,

Four and a bit gallons is as close as I can remember!  I did drain my tank from full into measuring jugs then the jerry can to get the number, then filled it back progressively as I calibrated the gauge wizard.  Good 5l measuring jugs were five or six quid from Amazon and have been regularly used since.

Simon

When my gauge was wired, it read backwards, so swapped the terminals over but made no difference.

After a while it stopped working altogether and now for my purpose, I use a garden cane suitably marked.

Just another of the winter jobs to add to the ever increasing list.

Thanks Simon, I hoped you would reply because I guessed you must have measured it somehow for adjusting your gauge wizard.

Rob, funny that you have the same problem as me. I'll let you know how I get on but it might be some while before I get round to it.

4.7 gallons US. Depends on how big a dimple you put in the flat side to fit it into the chassis. 

A dip stick is the best way to measure.  Measure the depth of the fuel tank on the stick, then mark it half way. Use that to calibrate your float or gauge tube. 

I've just put 4.7 gallons US into a unit converter.  It comes out as 3.91357 Imperial Gallons - plus a small bit in the pipe from the tank to the fuel pump and, if you overfill a bit more in the large diameter filler pipe to the cap assembly.

Simon

The correct answer turned out to be about 22 litres, based on my measuring jug, in the case of my tank.

I've fitted the gauge at last, and I've calibrated it to the tank sender as per the wizard instructions. And I've calibrated the gauge to the wizard for correct full indication, IYSWIM. Not sure if I can do the other values for the wizard to gauge settings with a full tank, Simon if you read this, can you tell me? 

Hi, Stephen,

Calibrating the intermediate points necessitates filling the tank to the relevant point and setting the gauge, so you'll have to drain the tank again, I am afraid. 

Your volume value agrees with mine (I could not quite fit a tankful into one of my 20 litre Jerry Cans).  Drain / pump it out then back in with 5.5 litre amounts and you'll be sorted at Empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and Full.  I found the Gauge Wizard very straightforward to use.

Simon

Thanks, Simon, as I feared. Oh, bother or words to that effect. I don't much fancy pumping 22 litres out using a cheap hand operated vacuum pump, so I'll leave the rest of the settings until the spring, when it (the car that is) comes out to play, and I can use up some of the fuel.