Is BTCC a better watch than F1..?

John K

super touring in the 90's was where it was at. Love watching the classic stuff 

"hes going for 1st" lol 

• Like 1

I was there that day and we wondered what had happened. Was just incredible racing. Soper was a talent and Cleland was legendary and also a fired up Scotsman. I asked Cleland at the next round at Brands , since it was his birthday, if he had sent an invite to Soper :d

1 hour ago, Thrustyjust said:

Cleland was legendary

Just about my only claim to fame is that Cleland drove me round Knockhill in a Ford Cossie racing job.

Through a very lucky set of circumstances when I worked in Grangemouth, I often made up the numbers on corporate hospitality days and did quite a few days up there (Landrover 4x4 was one of the best).

Cleland took each person round for three laps, I think he took it personally that I wouldn't stop giggling like a drain (instead of pooping myself) and he really went for it. 

After all the laps were done and we were sat in the 'debriefing room' the track director asked...

"Who was in the car when Cleland nearly lost it at the chicane? "

My hand went up...

And he was still  driving like a hero even though he was carrying that back injury at the time.

8 minutes ago, John K said:

Just about my only claim to fame is that Cleland drove me round Knockhill in a Ford Cossie racing job.

Through a very lucky set of circumstances when I worked in Grangemouth, I often made up the numbers on corporate hospitality days and did quite a few days up there (Landrover 4x4 was one of the best).

Cleland took each person round for three laps, I think he took it personally that I wouldn't stop giggling like a drain (instead of pooping myself) and he really went for it. 

After all the laps were done and we were sat in the 'debriefing room' the track director asked...

"Who was in the car when Cleland nearly lost it at the chicane? "

My hand went up...

And he was still  driving like a hero even though he was carrying that back injury at the time.

He did seem a very approachable and pleasant guy when I chatted to him at Brands. Envious of you getting a few laps with him.

4 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

He did seem a very approachable and pleasant guy when I chatted to him at Brands. Envious of you getting a few laps with him.

He was brilliant.

We did our driving in the XR2s they had at the time and he spent loads of time talking to us and teaching folk who would take the advice.

I still remember the feeling he stayed the whole day not because he was paid to, but because he was enjoying himself.

They had put out the 'brake now' boards to help us out and going up the hill to the end of the straight even though I fancied myself as a driver, I was on the anchors 20mtrs before the board and passed it at I dunno, at perhaps 50 and slowing.

When I went round with Cleland in the Cossie, I seem to remember passing the board at a good 90 with him still on full moo...

That's the difference between a Cossie and an XR2 and the difference between a yoof wanna be and a racing driver...

Funnily enough Steve Soper is at the Pegasus Motor Club tomorrow night to give a talk. I always remember him being asked what is was like to be the best driver of the day, he replied that in the stands there would be better drivers than him and others, they just never had the chance he had.

As for which is best, neither. The best is to go to a place like Castle Combe where I was for the Autumn Historic meeting. There you will see close fought racing, clean racing and more overtakes in one race than a season of F1. Btcc is exciting but the standards are woeful now and sometimes more akin to banger racing than a top flight series.