What's the point?

CraigHew

Following on from another recent thread where "Caterhams" were mentioned, I confessed to nearly going down that route, until I saw sense.

However, one of my guilty pleasures is to keep an eye on any CSRs up for sale. Just out of curiosity really.

I stumbled upon this one this morning.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/caterham/all-models/caterham-csr260/7491211

Now, it seems a very nice car. The price is about the going rate and it's only done 3172 miles.  Then I noticed it was registered April 2008:

Thats just over 3000 miles in about 10 years (from the info it works out at 334 miles per year).

I can manage that on a decent run out, especially in the summer months..!

What on earth is the point?   :o

• Haha 1

I wonder what the price was when new in 2008?  Sale price now asking £29,950.

With Bank interest rates pitiful could a well preserved, low depreciation kitcar actually be a financial investment?

To answer my own question seems in 2006 the CSR260 new price was £36.5K so not an investment. I haven't found the 2008 price.

Many £ thousands down for 3,000 miles of use.

So I agree 'what's the point'?

1 hour ago, CraigHew said:

Thats just over 3000 miles in about 10 years (from the info it works out at 334 miles per year).

That's less than I do in a year - I expect mine to have 50k on it by 2025 (but it will be on it's fifth engine, 3rd set of wheels, fourth set of shocks, third exhaust, second seats, third gearbox, eighth ECU, third uprights, second set of body panels etc by then!) Trigger, where's the broom  :d

• Haha 1

Even my sprint Westfield had more miles than that on it in 3 year's, 2 of which it was not on the road. 

Sometimes life gets in the way. My Westfield has sat in the garage now for almost two years but it will get used in the future. I know a few people who have bought toy's, bikes mainly and hardly ever use them. 

At least every one of those 3000 miles was great fun.

Because some people enjoy the pleasure that comes from owning it 

• Thanks 1

I think the dream is often better than reality... they want something,  really visualise how it could be.  But then BOOm actually they don’t Have time, and it’s simply not that great.     Loads of people spend years rebuilding the now classic car if their youth with an idillic view of how lovely it will be.   When finished they drive it a few times an sell it.   Why!   The wife won’t go in it, it’s slow, poor brakes, noisy, and to precious to park.  

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:16, RussH said:

Because some people enjoy the pleasure that comes from owning it 

This!

My old man has a few cars, they never get driven, but He likes knowing that they are there, and still gets pleasure from that!

I was the same with my M3, which towards the end was doing under 100 miles between MOTs.. but it was nice knowing it was there.

I can think of a dozen reasons why he wouldn't do many miles 

For e.g. Its possible the owner may have been working abroad or off shore for long periods , ill health or perhaps even been hospitalised , cash problems , crap weather if up north  , other pastimes or hobbies taking time up etc etc .

I used to commute daily from home to work with mine but since retiring I have done very few miles mostly due to other commitments . 

I don't get the fuss, to be honest.

They're a hobby car, even if not quite in the same way as a Westfield. Different people have lots of different takes on what they get out of the hobby, some like to track them, some drive, (as in road, touring etc), some like to tinker, some even just like to look at them.

As long as it fulfils what ever you hope to get out of its ownership, then it works for you and that's fine.

The 'problem' with these cars is that it's a very cheap car to not do anything with. Insurance is cheap, depreciation is minimal, and with the advent of direct debit taxing it's easy to put on and off the road as you see fit. So I expect you do see a fair few underused examples simply because it's not that much of a niggle to have sat there. Unlike say a depreciating German sports car, or anything mainstream really.

Agree low depreciation is a good factor and many are kept in Carcoons and never see a drop of rain.