Real roads have no restart button...

John K

During another sleepless night I was randomly browsing YouTube for car vids and ended up watching street racing "fails" (when it all goes wrong)

These morons seem to have so little concept of the consequences of their actions I can only assume they think the world is like an XBox or PS complete with a restart button. 

I like games consoles but have never bothered with driving games because IMHO you drive mostly with your A*** (not like an ...) and the sensation of mass and movement. And a healthy knowledge of physics. And they cant replicate that.

WARNING - The following video contains more spanners than Halfords...

Any of these guys videos is worth a cringe/what the devil/ Oh my god. Ironically he is now dead, but killed by a mate driving his car and hitting a tree.

The Victor Meldrew in me takes an unhealthy delight in watching these muppets screw up. The more damaged their toys are the happier it makes me. I don't particularly wish them harm you understand, just live in the probably vain hope that they might one day learn something from the experience.

I think the Lada drivers in Russia take some beating especially in he snow.

10 minutes ago, corsechris said:

just live in the probably vain hope that they might one day learn something from the experience

I admire your (misplaced) hope in the young end of the human race - we can all dream...

8 minutes ago, Olliebeak said:

I think the Lada drivers in Russia take some beating especially in he snow.

I dunno, Vette drivers in a straight line are quite 'impressive' as well

But not as impressive as Mustang drivers leaving car shows...

These days, I tend to prefer the videos where they get instantly lit up by a patrol car before they can crash, or where someone with road rage crashes their car into an inanimate object.  I hate the ones were innocent drivers get involved in street racing crashes

4 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Ironically he is now dead, but killed by a mate driving his car and hitting a tree.

My sympathies are to the tree - he is a complete knob and thankfully got what he deserved without (as per Scott's post) others being involved.

40 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

These days, I tend to prefer the videos where they get instantly lit up by a patrol car before they can crash, or where someone with road rage crashes their car into an inanimate object.  I hate the ones were innocent drivers get involved in street racing crashes

Quite agree. One thing to wreck your own toy or yourself, quite another to involve some innocent party, animate or otherwise.

41 minutes ago, John K said:

My sympathies are to the tree - he is a complete knob and thankfully got what he deserved without (as per Scott's post) others being involved.

I dont disagree John. How in hells name he doesnt kill anyone himself from the speed in the town , I dont know. Also look up Ghost rider. He's some swedish loon on a bike.

Having been in “the other car”, I’ve got to say, I wish nothing but big sturdy trees for the lot of them. The days before, I’d been in the Westfield on the same road, at the same time. For some reason, I took the Audi, that morning. I liked that Audi. Never did see it again.

Its twelve years since some jerk in a Civic Type R though he’d impress his Mrs by hanging the tail out on a series of bends. He made the first one, but on the second, over corrected ever so slightly, and clipped the curve on the inside of the bend, flinging him head on in to me. Police estimate we were both doing about forty, me braking heavily, him spinning out. The A4 ended up two metres shorter.

I get the delight of taking pain meds’ every single day of my life, and at some point, natural wear and tear will mean I need an operation on C4/5 that has significant risks of paralysis.

Thats why I admit, I have an obsession about seeing the more powerful Westfields etc on decently grippy tyres.

Speaking with the police in the aftermath, the Traffic Office happened to mention the other guys injuries. We both had a slightly guilty/embarrassed half laugh as we recognised the “good, he deserves it” look on each other’s faces.

Playing on your own, away from traffic somewhere quiet is one thing, I’ve certainly done it, as I gues many of us have, but busy streets. NO.

48 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Playing on your own, away from traffic somewhere quiet is one thing, I’ve certainly done it, as I gues many of us have, but busy streets. NO.

1,000% agree...

If the only other parties involved are the insurance company, the retrieval truck and a farmer who is trying to recapture the sheep that escaped via the ST shaped hole in his hedge, then go for it.

Never race when others are around or involved...

When I was chatting to the traffic copper after I witnessed the bike accident I was quite honest that my idea of fun is an empty wet roundabout with clear and long sightlines - he had no problem with that.

It sometimes makes me wish for graduated licences where you can drive nothing faster than a basic Micra after taking the test, and to successively pass higher and higher standards of test, including some high speed circuit driving and skid training for a top grade licence to drive cars like the Mustangs and other muscle cars. I long since stopped driving my Westfield any great distance on the roads - track days are safer. Of course I have done stupid things in my youth, but it was in a car with a terrifying 34 BHP under the bonnet. To think a newly qualified driver can get behind the wheel of a Z3M (no driver aids), or a TVR of any model, or an old 911 is irresponsible.

How some of those idiots in the first clip managed to do some of the things they did is beyond me. Are their right feet paralysed into forever maintaining pressure on the accelerator? One of them was so inexperienced he was looking down at the gear lever while changing gear!

3 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

It sometimes makes me wish for graduated licences where you can drive nothing faster than a basic Micra after taking the test, and to successively pass higher and higher standards of test,

Of course I have done stupid things in my youth, but it was in a car with a terrifying 34 BHP under the bonnet.

Apologies in advance for snipping your post, but ironically you've pointed out why restricted licences to lower powered cars won't stop people doing stupid things.

I also did stupid things in my mini with crossply tyres!