Cheesehead from across the pond.

jm1211

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I live outside of Milwaukee. Not sure if there are any other Cheeseheads on here but I wanted to check. I haven't started a build but I have been looking at starting a Mazda SDV kit with a FW body. I believe it can be done but not 100% sure. I have started talking to the Westfield distributor here in the States. Also, I was wondering if anyone has a Westfield near by? I would like to see one in person. The forum has tons of great information!

James

22 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

:ww: James.

This might be a stupid question.

What is a Cheesehead?

A highly misguided individual who is wrongly a supporter of the Green Bay Packers NFL team. :p :barf: He needs your sympathy.

/Minnesota Vikings fan :cool:

Welcome.

Westfield only sell the Mazda sdv with the FW front as the rear won't fit using the Westfield tank.

The Fw rear will fit but you will need to fab your own fuel tank and probably lose the boot box. When i was getting my tour of the factory it looked like there was plenty of room for a decent tank.

Welcome James,

as above, to use the full FW body on a Mazda SDV will need a bit of work but its certainly do-able and there's at least one other owner that has done it.  

The biggest problem with the FW rear is that its designed to have the fuel tank fitted above the diff.  This is fine for those cars that normally have a sierra differential but the Mazda differential is mounted differently as it is suspended by two large cast "wings" and a fabricated mounting frame occupies the space where the fuel tank would fit.  The obvious place to put the fuel tank is behind the diff where it would normally be mounted with the ZK bodywork but if you're using the standard FW rear lights then the bulb holders for the rear lamps will encroach into the tank space.  LED rear lights will help but even then I'm still not sure if a standard tank would fit.  

If I was doing it myself I would be using the Talon MX5 diff cover to replace the cast Mazda item.  With this and some suitable bespoke mounting brackets you should then be able to fit a standard FW fuel tank in the correct position above the differential without having to make a custom tank.

http://www.talonmotorfabrication.co.uk/shop/4581381144/fabricated-diff-cover/9582956

3 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) - Joint Essex AO said:

Welcome James,

as above, to use the full FW body on a Mazda SDV will need a bit of work but its certainly do-able and there's at least one other owner that has done it.  

The biggest problem with the FW rear is that its designed to have the fuel tank fitted above the diff.  This is fine for those cars that normally have a sierra differential but the Mazda differential is mounted differently as it is suspended by two large cast "wings" and a fabricated mounting frame occupies the space where the fuel tank would fit.  The obvious place to put the fuel tank is behind the diff where it would normally be mounted with the ZK bodywork but if you're using the standard FW rear lights then the bulb holders for the rear lamps will encroach into the tank space.  LED rear lights will help but even then I'm still not sure if a standard tank would fit.  

If I was doing it myself I would be using the Talon MX5 diff cover to replace the cast Mazda item.  With this and some suitable bespoke mounting brackets you should then be able to fit a standard FW fuel tank in the correct position able the differential without having to make a custom tank.

http://www.talonmotorfabrication.co.uk/shop/4581381144/fabricated-diff-cover/9582956

I just love your replies Mark, so comprehensive!

Good luck with the build James.

• Like 1

Guys,

Thanks for all of the information and the welcome! Geoffrey, the Captain almost got the Cheesehead information correct... He forgot to mention the 1st place Green Bay Packers! 

Captain are you in MN or UK? I am trying to find someone in the area with a West field. They are not as popular over here. 

Mark, thanks for the the information. Looks like I have some more options. 

I know I'm not in the area but if you are interested in seeing an S2000 I have one in Bozeman, MT.

dave

The Captain escaped to the UK some years ago. Try as we might, he’s still here ;):p 

Welcome James

I'm about halfway through building a Mazda SDV here in the UK but I have relatives in Minnesota not far from you in the context of the USA so I'm also a Vikings fan! The next time I'm in touch with my stepson I will ask him if there are any Westfields around the area. We visit most years but I've not seen one yet.

But I did have a chance meeting with an old guy in Colorado Springs a couple of years ago who owned one. His name was Hank Candler and he used to race Elvas, Lotus's and Lolas in the 70s and 80s. He was a real character and told me that he also raced in the UK for a while and looked up his ancestors while he was there somewhere in Essex I believe. He found out that one of his ancestors made the stained glass window in the local church and promptly tried to buy it - unsurprisingly they refused!

Good luck with your project

Dave

35 minutes ago, djm said:

Welcome James

I'm about halfway through building a Mazda SDV here in the UK but I have relatives in Minnesota not far from you in the context of the USA so I'm also a Vikings fan! The next time I'm in touch with my stepson I will ask him if there are any Westfields around the area. We visit most years but I've not seen one yet.

But I did have a chance meeting with an old guy in Colorado Springs a couple of years ago who owned one. His name was Hank Candler and he used to race Elvas, Lotus's and Lolas in the 70s and 80s. He was a real character and told me that he also raced in the UK for a while and looked up his ancestors while he was there somewhere in Essex I believe. He found out that one of his ancestors made the stained glass window in the local church and promptly tried to buy it - unsurprisingly they refused!

Good luck with your project

Dave

Hank was a member on the forum here for quite a while and owned a very nicely built Megabusa. IIRC he had links to Dedham in Essex.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/66666-hanks-megabusa/?tab=comments#comment-664423

Thanks Mark a font of information as usual. Its a pity the link to his build doesn't work anymore!

Just shows what a small world it is! It was a real chance meeting I was in Colorado visiting friends for one week only and I was at this hotel and I held the door open for for this old bloke to come through and he thanked me and said he had trouble lifting his arms so I commented and said your welcome. He recognised my accent and asked me where I was from and told me all about his racing in England and said he had a car that I wouldn't recognise 'a Westfield' and the conversation just went on from there! In the end his wife came over and dragged him away! I could have talked to him for hours.

In the interest of trans-Atlantic mutual appreciation, this is a cheesehead screw:-

slotted-cheese-head-screw-250x250.jpg

Good to have you on here James :ww:

59 minutes ago, djm said:

This is what James is referring too:

image.jpeg.f56ea54c10aa44ae7ea9694ca88fb399.jpeg

Ah I see! Not a screw at all then - more like some kind of a nut! :d

• Haha 1