13" Tyre choice

Scotty72

9 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

I'm going to get a set of 15" with R1R's for road use. Will the offset be the same as my 13" rims? Are there any Markings on Team Dynamics wheels which tell you this info or will I need to remove and measure?

You will need to get the same width and offset if you want the wheels to sit exactly as they are now.

If you start altering widths you will need to do some research on which offset you need,type in 'will they fit' on Google and use the website that comes up to show you exactly what different widths of wheel and offsets will do :)

Also shows you speedo error % and tells how much lower car will be.

You will need to remove them as the info is etched onto the inner wheel rim,right on the edge near where the tyre is mounted.

It's not easy to see tbh.

@Scotty72 you need ET40 on the front and ET23 on the rear for factory recommendations for the S2000

7 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

@Scotty72 you need ET40 on the front and ET23 on the rear for factory recommendations for the S2000

If thats with a 7J rim and you want the wheels sat in the arches the same as they are currently you will need to stay at 7J wide wheels. 

If you go narrower wheels the offset needs to come down too :)

Can I say something weird?

You need a propper race Wet tyre to get better performance in wet than a Toyo 888 in wet or damp condition... And @AdamR and myself, prooved that last season with our wet performance with semislick over than people trying to swap to road tyres, R1R's and some ones with propper wets...

For a road tyre being more effective on water over a Toyo 888, the ammount of water has to be that hughe that you shouldn't be on track... 

What i mean is that probably, you will put something with more groove on it, and you may feel dissapointed as grip in wet/damp will not improve, and probably will decrease.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, maurici said:

the ammount of water has to be that hughe that you shouldn't be on track...

No such thing :d

I think it depends how much 'slower' you are prepared to be as to how many sets of wheels / tyres you need. For me, a set of road tyres will cope with any conditions, are more fun, cheaper, and won't be much slower (certainly for track days - competition use debatable, as a few seconds a lap is a big chunk) than the 'optimal' tyre for any circumstance. Saves me a lot of hassle and brain power!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adam, which road tyres do you use/recommend?

I think earlier you mentioned Michelin and Continental but do you have a specific tyre you prefer?

I haven't tried enough different models to make a specific recommendation, but the Michelin road tyres my mate (a top speed series driver) uses on his MX-5 track car have been excellent, and the Contis I have on my car now are great too. They both offer much better grip than we expected (fairly close to the likes of 888s in terms of lap time), last a lot longer than we expected (he's done about 8 full dry track days and they are still road legal), and don't 'shred' up like cheap road tyres (have used various Nankangs in the past and they end up a mess after a couple of hard sessions).

Even driving like this they are still in good condition with no melting and relatively sharp edges on the tread blocks. Those who know what 3 Sisters tarmac is like will know how abrasive it is... Therefore I've concluded that - as with a lot of things - you get what you pay for, hence the Conti / Michelin recommendations.

I appreciate road tyres aren't for everyone, but I genuinely believe they are worth considering depending on how the car is used!

I was trully expecting something like...

"the cheapest in national tyre" 

4 hours ago, AdamR said:

I haven't tried enough different models to make a specific recommendation, but the Michelin road tyres my mate (a top speed series driver) uses on his MX-5 track car have been excellent, and the Contis I have on my car now are great too. They both offer much better grip than we expected (fairly close to the likes of 888s in terms of lap time), last a lot longer than we expected (he's done about 8 full dry track days and they are still road legal), and don't 'shred' up like cheap road tyres (have used various Nankangs in the past and they end up a mess after a couple of hard sessions).

Even driving like this they are still in good condition with no melting and relatively sharp edges on the tread blocks. Those who know what 3 Sisters tarmac is like will know how abrasive it is... Therefore I've concluded that - as with a lot of things - you get what you pay for, hence the Conti / Michelin recommendations.

I appreciate road tyres aren't for everyone, but I genuinely believe they are worth considering depending on how the car is used!

I conclude that you are nuts, Adam (and have very good car control) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yeh, he's been around a bit.

14 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Ha, thanks :t-up: In reality though, driving like this isn't difficult with: a reasonable amount of track time, a well set up car that is responsive, predictable and compliant, and a set of tyres that write you a letter to let you know that they're about to start sliding. Did I say I think road tyres are good? :laugh:

Thanks for all your help. A new set of 15" pro race 1.2 shod with 205/50 R1R's winging their way to me. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

All the Caterham racers use Khumo V70's soft for wets....just to complicate the choice even further.

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 18:15, Kit Car Electronics said:

Love the oversteer (at about 25 secs) whilst changing gear - Epic!

If you're planning on using the tyres for track use, is it not an idea to get a couple sets of rims and fitting slicks and wets to them, that's what I've done. I got a set of lightly used slicks for around 80quid with a lot of life still left in them. One of the up sides to slicks I have noticed is the difference in weight, it's incredible the difference between my Avon ZZS road tyres and Pirelli slicks. I've also got a set of wets which I haven't used in wet conditions yet, but I did witness @stickymint at Croft on one occasion, I was on Toyo R888's and he had proper wets on and he was running rings around everyone while I was struggling to stay in a straight line.

Plenty tyres for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X13+slicks.TRS0&_nkw=13+slicks&_sacat

I also know someone who buys them in bulk and sells them on for a reasonable price. He usually has a wide selection of compounds, sizes and manufacturers, posts them out to me next day and have always received tyres with a lot of life left in them.

• Like 1