Group module Practice run in anglesey Sprint

maurici

You may have received this bulletin about the Group module practice season

I’m the only one concerned about it and how they expect to run it?

I’m not comfortable sharing track with the average sprint driver across my classes (roadgoing and normally quite unexperienced people). Also loads of sprint cars, don’t have review mirrors or operating brake lights, or drivers are not used to have cars around at reasonably fast speeds.

The only reason I sprint, is because I do not feel comfortable with other cars around me in a competitive atmosphere and have 20 cars around in a rush to do as much laps as they can in 10 minutes, does not feel safe to me. Actually, I’m seriously considering to pull out my entry. It felt like a good Idea (very good) in the first read… and after giving it a deep thought  I see it like a terrible one.

I'm the only one with that feeling?

I have the same feelings, but would be happy to give it a go - very cautiously, for the reasons you said...

Gavin's inbox is going to be very full right now :laugh:

I think used sensibly it will be fine

there will be few novices and most of us will only do 2 or 3 laps each session due to fuel and tyres

also there are no gravel traps at Anglesey so you should be ok on the black stuff

we can't complain about reducing track time and turn down a valid attempt to get better value for money

Absolutely, people who are trying to progress and help out should be supported. I'm just not sure it's been thought out too well...

11 minutes ago, terry everall said:

I think used sensibly it will be fine

there will be few novices and most of us will only do 2 or 3 laps each session due to fuel and tyres

also there are no gravel traps at Anglesey so you should be ok on the black stuff

we can't complain about reducing track time and turn down a valid attempt to get better value for money

Sorry. I disagree with that... and I've never complained about track time.

When I want tracktime I go to a Trackday (and I choose if i want to share or not with the people is in the track in that moment, I can slow down or just go out and come back later).

As I told once, my perception about the spirit of sprinting and Hillclimbs (Moutain climbs in europe) is to establish the best possible time in a pre-determined number of timed runs... And actually is how the old school clubs keep doing it, and how is still done across europe.

Anything over two timing runs, should be taken as a bonus, not as a demand. But this is not the topic of this post...

The topic is that I'm absolutely not happy to share track with people in a competitive atmosphere. Only one person taking it wrong, is enought to ruin your weekend.

I'm with you Maurici. I understand the logic behind it, but the application is flawed.

If it rains there will be absolute mayhem with no rain lights.

Also the principle of completely changing the event format 2 weeks before the event is very poor form.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phelpsa said:

If it rains there will be absolute mayhem with no rain lights.

Didn't think of that one Adam, a very good point! I guess rain lights aren't really necessary (think track days) but there will be some cars with no rear lights at all...

Also mixed feelings about this.

Speeding up an event is a great thing and LDMC's efforts and willingness to try something new should be applauded. However...

As has been said, many cars entering a sprint will be doing it precisely because they do not want to be on track at the same time as others. Even if you have mirrors and you are experienced and comfortable in competitive situations with other people around you, being on track with those who are not could be a precarious scenario. As for cars without mirrors, well, interesting at best, probably scary and intimidating for many and potentially dangerous for most. I am fortunate enough I have some mirrors I can and will bolt on my car, along with some experience of driving on track with others, but that doesn't stop me being slightly nervous of potential situations involving other cars.

Something that would help is to set people off at intervals, although that will be rather futile given that with up to 20 cars on track there could only be a 3-4s gap between cars to start, imagine how quickly those gaps will close/open.

Personally I'd rather see it done as a two or even three lap convoy run, 30-40 cars all in a line, moderate speed building slightly each lap. even if we properly mince around that's each group done in 10 minutes, 3-4 groups and everyone has seen the track 3 times and in a significantly safer and more predictable set of circumstances. Thousands of trackdays each year can't be wrong surely?! 

Oh yes, all my judgements had been made imagining dry weather...if it rains some groups could have a mixture of full on wets, inters, road tyres, slicks even!! Not to mention the fun and games of some cars not having brake lights at all let alone rain lights.

Well. I've shared my concerns, with you guys and with the organiser.

I'll give it a though this week, but, given that I'm not a serious competitor or contender to any trophy this year, And I don't need the stress and the trouble of a totally new experiment (that can be succeed, or a total disaster) I will come to spectate to anglesey at best.

If I'm wrong and it results in a great format and all works faultesly and smooth I will have plenity of time next year to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Well for me 10 mins will require several in/out of the pitlane to refuel.(ethanol users will have fun)

Having witnessed some dodgy releases from the pitlane in the past by the organisers when only 2 cars on the circuit I would be worried about rejoining the circuit mid session.

Ten minutes would be quickly turned into little or no practice if an off or breakdown by another.

I'm entered but now giving this serious reconsideration. 

Not a serious contender so perhaps.... first out and two hot laps and straight off and into the paddock.

Also unfair for those in the early batches when the track is still cold and sloppy.

If people pull out and don't support them maybe they will not run the event next year!

Maurici

do you not think it's more dangerous with different levels of experience and car power/performance on a track day (I used to do them and saw several incidents)

for practice you can drive st your own pace and do as few laps as you chose

in the end it's your decision but I would like to give it a go

42 minutes ago, terry everall said:

If people pull out and don't support them maybe they will not run the event next year!

Or they will consider about not changing the format of an "already paid product" 2 weeks before the event.

That is a very poor reason Terry.

They can't force me to support something that feels dangerous to me, and I'm sorry but I'll not feel guilty about it. Sprinting means I'm alone in the track. Period. (or the other car is about 45 seconds far away from me) .

• Like 1