Top Speeds

jimbobtcc206

7 minutes ago, terry everall said:

My top spec blade in lightweight car just gets to 125mph and does not run out of revs ...it just won't go any faster

Does weight not go out of the window after about 70mph Terry? Aerodynamic drag takes over, and an aeroscreened  Westy with 200bhp irrespective if it's Bike power or lardy car power will top out at the same max velocity?

Am I right or talking b*****k? :laugh:

• Like 1

I have seen 130mph in mine on the National circuit at Silverstone, and 145mph on the back straight at Bedford (it was still gaining speed but was going very light so I backed off). I don't know what the top speed is on mine and I don't think I am brave enough to find out :getmecoat:

But I am running big power with a 3.6 diff to make it a bit longer in lower gears. I swapped from a 4.1 diff to a 3.6 as I was forever changing gear, and wanted to get past 60 with only one change.

• Like 1

Power and Torque are what you need to overcome the areodynamics etc

My aeroscreened 185 bhp Zetec SEi has seen 120 at Snetterton on a GPS speedo, still accelerating but having to brake for the next corner, that's with a 4.1 diff, 4 speed Tran X box, 205/60-13 rear tyres and around 7500 revs, that engine had a forged rod let go recently, when I rebuild it it will probably have a higher diff ratio so I don't have to rev it so high to get the top speed.

I'm thinking gearing for 135-140 would be a good compromise then for track use without being silly on the road. That said, I have no issue with drone on roads....I've lived with it before and I quite liked it strangely enough.

Hit 117.7mph (from data logger) just before braking for Duffus at Knockhill, and the straight there is uphill from the hairpin. in a standard Busa with aeroscreen and full cage